SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Things that go bump in the night

23 June 2012 | Anchored at Moorea, French Polynesia
Larry Nelson
It has never happened before. Last night we bumped (actually we were bumped by...) another boat while at anchor. We've always worried about this possibility. The actual experience was much less traumatic than we though it would be.

Of course it happened at night, after we were in bed. We did hear the boats bump but wrote it off as noise from the anchor chain over coral. Then the VHF radio lit up with traffic. Lots of boats were hitting lots of other boats. Some boat captains were out at the Miss Moorea beauty contest. People were trying to figure out what to do? It is a credit to the group of cruisers we are partying with that everyone kept a very cool head. Curiously,...although it was tough to tell it....no one's anchor appeared to be dragging. Yet we had 25 knot winds that were swirling through the anchorage making boats "sail" in every direction. And a very strange current was overcoming the wind. Boats that were adjacent were lying bow to bow. How does that happen? I should note here that we have a lot more boats in this anchorage than really fit and of course that was exacerbating the situation. But in the middle of the night, surrounded by invisible clumps of coral, what to do is a tough question. The easy answer was to do nothing, sit in the cockpit, and fend off. As it turned out the current subsided and boats resumed their more normal positions. Eventually everyone went to sleep again.

This morning a boat came through the anchorage with FRESH baked bagettes for every boat. Karen fixed me fried eggs in a baguette sandwich (with mayo, tomato, lettuce, onion, and ham). Oh, yes...and hot coffee. It's a nice way to start the day.

Now to head off to a morning of games and an afternoon of outrigger racing.

Those of you who are at work....sorry you cannot be included.

The photo is the clew attach point for our mainsail, which Karen and I repaired while in Tahiti. Unfortunately when we raised the mainsail for the sail across to Moorea, we got a massive new tear...again in the luff of the sail and in the upper portion. Our repairs have all held. This is a NEW tear. We are going to find a sailmaker in Raiatea to replace the entire panel and do whatever is necessary to get this sail all the way to New Zealand. We sure wish we had purchased a new sail before we left.
Comments

About & Links