SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

What New Zealand Doesn't Have

15 December 2012 | Auckland, slip G25 Bayswater marina
Larry Nelson
New Zealand lacks personal complexity and paperwork.

We bought a car, licensed it, purchased insurance and state permission to drive, by listing on a sheet of paper only the name and address of the seller, the name of the buyer, the license plate number that is already on the car and the sales price (and calling an insurance company). The seller emailed the paper to NZ authorities who apparently make all this available on line. You don't have to make any trip to the Department of Motor Vehicles. You don't have to carry proof of insurance or registration paperwork in your car. Your foreign drivers license is good for a year. Curiously, automobile liability insurance is not required. Boat liability insurance IS required. Taxes for roads are collected by a sticker you have to purchase each year.

New Zealand has toll roads but not toll booths. You have 5 days to pay for your trip online. Billing is based on license plate number using image interpretation software. Signage is exceptionally clear so you know what you need to do.

New Zealand has an income tax but for most people no income tax form to file. Your employer deducts tax from your pay according to gross annual income and that is the end of it.

New Zealand has no paperwork to get health care. All accidents are covered, even for visitors like us. Other healtcare needs(for non citizens) can be purchased for a fixed price. One cruising friend had a hernia operation for $6000. If there are complications in the surgery, that falls under "accident" and it is covered automatically. There are no healthcare expense surprises. Because healthcare is covered by the state the cost of auto insurance and also the need for auto insurance becomes small and optional. Only property is involved, not personal injury.

We do have a few additional things we need to do though:

(1) we need to maintain a warranty of fitness for the car annually; the date is shown on a sticker on the windshield of the car (2) We have to have our boat power chords certified for safety and compliance to standards of performance (a test is run) (3) We need to have our propane tank pressure tested and certified before they will fill it

These certifications are expensive and bothersome when you first arrive, but the flip side of the coin is that everything works well and is pretty safe. Obtaining service to bring things into compliance is easy and competant.

All this stands in contrast to the third world where we have been cruising. The third world has rules too, but generally they aren't taken very seriously except to extract corruption payment. New Zealand takes its rules seriously. These rules are NOT means to extract a bite out of tourists or citizens. They exist and are enforced for a purpose. We are very careful not to break a New Zealand rule. That would be expensive.

These differences are interesting because they reveal alternative ways of living that are fully developed but different than the US. I'm sure we will be learning other differences that I haven't mentioned. All this has consequences and so far we aren't finding the consequences to be very troublesome.

The picture shows an ocean cruising powerboat (first seen in Samoa and now in Auckland) that is an unusual but apparently workable design. Its an alternative to trawlers that appears to be quite fast.
Comments

About & Links