SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

End of Christmas Break

14 January 2013 | Bayswater Marina, Auckland NZ
Larry Nelson
In NZ there is a tradition of taking a break at Christmas. For the craftsmen that service boat stuff the break begins around Dec 15 and ends about Jan 15. Some get a little bit of a jump on the beginning, judging by events in Opua when we were just getting out of the boatyard. We got a lot of good work done by that boatyard, but now it is time to move on to Stage 2 of the refit. Stage 2 involves the sails and rigging. I did mention that we had bought a new mainsail from Lidgard (Grant Ewing is our sailmaker). We moved the boat to Auckland, close to the loft where the sails are made. It is a good thing we did. There is more than just sails to get the whole job done. We need changes to the reefing system to allow the deep third reef that we have requested to the sail. There is not enough travel inside the boom for the double acting reefing system that we've been using for first and second reefs. So we've got a rigger to add pulley's to the outside of the boom and thus retain single line reefing. We'll just have two reefing lines, one for the second reef and one for the third reef. The first reef is for racers. Panta Rhei sails just fine with a double reef or no reef....easily changed if need be. The third reef will give us an option in between dropping the mainsail and sailing it double reefed but overpowered using a "fisherman's reef" (i.e. sheeted out to depower it). The third reef will considerably enhance the ease of heaving to or alternatively, running downwind in really really high wind speed. The Navtek vang, outhaul, and backstay tensioners are all hydraulic and need service. These components need specialized facilities and trained technicians to restore them to reliable and serviceable condition. We tried getting it done in Mexico but it didn't work out long term.

We are getting the entire rig inspected and adjusted by a rigger (the bottom inner stays are too loose for sure). We also took down the head sail. A quick inspection revealed reason for concern. We'll probably be getting a new one of those, too. We are tired of sails that quit working in the middle of the ocean. We have taken to heart a lesson learned through sewing endless days on a tossing deck and our search for a sailmaker in mid ocean (Raiatea) to repair the mainsail yet again.

We've started work on the scuba compressor (which has a leak that prevents a full fill of our scuba tanks).

We've got the Max Power bow thruster rep working on how to get our VIP bow thruster working again. For the last 9 months this has been an impossible task (due to reorganization of the company), but maybe now....with a good rep....and NZ alternatives...

We've engineered a solution to the forward sump pump we had run out of spares for and whose spares were no longer available. The small world approach has saved us yet again. We met a friend of Darrell McNabb who has a husband that knows NZ AND boats. He knows it at the highest level. Smart guy. This idea is his. My first impression is that it is brilliant. The second impression will come after we test it! Because it is external to the sump, all issues of fit are made considerably easier. It has the look and the cost of a pump that will last forever. I'm not as sure about the float switch which is original equipment for the sump. I still have spares for the float switch and the pump we are using can run dry so I can use a manual enable if necessary. This pump also self primes to 10 feet. And it likely is made of gold (or it just costs like a close simulation of gold).

We've got a refrigeration guy looking for a latch that can replace the latch that broke.

We've got the switch for the power enable on the windlass being installed.

More work is underway to replace the aluminum electrode on our fisher panda gen set.

All our lines have been removed for rework (new covers and flipping end for end and cleaning)

If you are getting the impression that half the boat craftsmen in NZ are working on our boat, that's about right. Isn't it wonderful? You cannot get this help anywhere else in the south pacific.

The picture shows Karen holding our new external sump pump. See how happy she is?




Comments

About & Links