SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Air conditioning and Lobster are hard to leave

24 August 2011 | Still San Carlos, Mexico
Larry Nelson
We are still at the dock in San Carlos. We are enjoying our friends, our air conditioning, our continuous power from the dock, and the vendors that bring us fresh crab, shelled and ready to eat and lobster, tail only, prepared for barbecuing. Alternatively we could be watching our power closely, running the gen set each morning, sweating and living on food we bought up to a month ago while pretending like we are survivalists in the wilderness. Can you see why it is hard to leave the dock?

But the master plan calls for going north to give the best possible clearance between us and hurricanes. I do wonder whether the extra 150 miles is worth the hardships and after all, we are leaving a dock....the ultimate anchoring system. A lot of our friends have already gone, we are "tail end charlie's". There is also the goal of spending some truly quiet time at anchor. We expect to enjoy that. And swimming in warm water right off our swim step is a constant wonder.

So we will leave soon, first for Santa Rosalia then for distant anchorages further north in the Sea of Cortez. Anne Jennings, our eye infection patient/friend, is recovering. I don't have enough experience to say whether the recovery is on schedule and no one is projecting the outcome, but the flow of medicine continues with surprising twists. Most recently Anne finished her IV antibiotics and got a new one in her tush. She now has a "do not remove" contact lens that must stay in day and night for 10 days and let the doctor remove it. Eye drops continue. Anne is a very brave patient who is diligent in her conformance to doctors instructions. It sounds easy, but the doctors instructions are complicated especially when executed 24/7 for weeks with almost daily variations. All this of course has an uncertain outcome. Her husband, Hugh, is back now (everyone is glad to see him!). The nightly med schedule has eased somewhat (there are still eye drops in prodigious quantities). We're sufficiently impressed that we've purchased some of the eye drops for our own medicine chest as a course of last resort should this happen to us when we are far from medical assistance (which per the plan is a lot of the time). Anne and Hugh are preparing to leave too, but of course that depends on Anne's recovery. Still, Hugh is working on all the tasks that need to be done to make the eventual departure a happy experience. We'll stay in contact via the ssb and email. We're not all that far away except as it relates to boat speeds.

I've included a picture of the lobster Karen bought for dinner the other night. She got 12 lobster tails and 2 kg of shrimp for 520 pesos. It is all delivered completely ready to cook (and small for fitting into the boat refrigerator).
Comments

About & Links