SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Fixing the Dinghy and ignoring Badoo

29 August 2011 | Santa Rosalia, Mexico
Larry Nelson
We've actually left the dock at San Carlos, but tied to a new dock in Santa Rosalia. Hopefully, it isn't for 2 months like the last time! The forecast for the trip across the Sea of Cortez was for 1 foot seas and 4-5 knot winds. What we actually experienced was 7 foot seas and 18 knot winds. The remnants of thunderstorms during the night before we left took more than half the next day to die out. We made it without incident though and our friends in Santa Rosalia had arranged a slip for us. Back to air conditioning!

We did leave Anne in Hugh's capable hands and are receiving "wellness reports" from Anne. (May it always be so). We remain hopeful for her full recovery. We now have a stock of antibiotic eye drops in our own medicine chest.

Now it is time to fix the Dinghy again; this time hopefully the fix will hold air. The instructions say not to do this in the sun and not to do it in temperatures over 77F. Tough to do, but apparently necessary. So we "ripped" off the old patches (I didn't know you could do that!). We used Xylene to clean the dinghy chemically where the patch is going and sandpaper to scuff the surface. Ed and Connie Quesada brought us hypalon patching material that is 6 inches wide and 3 feet long (just what we needed) and new glue (from Newport CA where they live). We moved the dinghy up to the cruisers lounge ashore where it can be out of the sun and in cool ambient air. Tonight after dinner we will move quietly into our stealth dinghy repair facility and "make the fix". It will have all night where it is cool (at least not hot) to cure. By morning we will have a reasonably strong repair. Ed even bought me new paint for the dinghy so that we can paint it after we repair it. I'm hoping that this third fix will be the charm. If not, I have some "goop" to put inside the dinghy. We're pulling out all the stops this time. You see, a cruiser without a dinghy is like a teenager without a car. Life simply stops! The picture shows the patch on the dinghy.

There are a number of pleasant surprises recently in our lives and one that is not small is that our friends Paul and Judy Meany (SV Grace) stayed an extra day at Santa Rosalia so they could see us. What a treat. We will see them again soon in the Bahia de Los Angeles where we are headed. In the meantime, we swapped ebooks and movies and Paul introduced me to a program (Calibre) for ebook management. Wow. If you haven't looked into this, use Google and go find out about it. Its a cruiser's dream.

Apparently a number of our friends (and us!) have been inundated with Badoo notices. What the heck is Badoo? You will have to tell us. It acts like it might be a new Google social network? We aren't initiating this intentionally even if we are initiating it! Anyway, it doesn't appear to be malicious and I don't think we are initiating it. I think/hope it will pass. Let us know if you have some action you would recommend that we take. Please include an explanation!
Comments

About & Links