SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Boat Chores are done

17 September 2011 | Bahia de Los Angeles Village, Mexico
Larry Nelson
We've moved back to Bahia de Los Angeles Village. Basically we followed all the other boats. Everyone wanted fresh vegetables and access to the internet, even it if it poor. Also we had a nice invitation to dinner out with Jake and Sharon. It was their thank you to us for bringing them their watermaker membrane and it was a tremendously enjoyable evening.

As the days move further into September the probability of another Chubasco decreases and as I type this there are no tropical storm warnings in our region of the Pacific. Are we lucky? I guess so.

So this morning Larry got up early and started the generator. We've been having trouble with the engine oil temperature switch on the generator. On boats, generators are located in out of the way places and tightly cowled to reduce noise. They run a lot and who wants a loud roar to listen to? Because of their remote location and tight cowling, generators are protected against faults (that you wouldn't otherwise see) with a host of over temperature sensors. There are two down near the oil cooler, one in the exhaust, one in the fresh water cooling system for the engine and so forth. We had a leaking salt water event this spring (which was detected by a special sensor) and now that appears to have resulted in an intermittent connection to the engine oil temperature switch. It's either that or the sensor is failing. I've cleaned the contacts and that did seem to help. It isn't a perfect fix though. There are intermittent difficulties still. The difficulties only occur when the engine/generator are cold which leads me to suspect the sensor. Sensors all assert their faults by going "open". So I can bypass the sensor if I need to with a wire connecting the terminal connectors. Of course I don't like to do that. I've ordered new sensors. I was expecting to have to by pass the sensor this morning, but wonder of wonders, the gen set started and we got our dose of electrons delivered into the batteries for the day. We had a little time to do other chores. So we set about cleaning watermaker filers, cleaning engine water inlet screens, and cleaning the house water inlet screen, and changing zincs on the refrigerator. The house inlet screens were the worst I've ever seen them. Running the air conditioners apparently causes this (there is lots more sea water circulating to meet the air conditioner needs). We had barnacles so dense that we could hardly get the screens out. Basically we had to chisel our way around every water port in the screen housing to reopen the pathways. It is like mowing a lawn that is very tall. It makes you feel good about having done something that needed doing. Of course you also feel bad about not doing it sooner.

Its all done now and we are feeling good. Its time for visitors. Paul and Judy Meany (SV Grace) are coming over and SV Solona too (David and Donna just showed up in the anchorage). The temperatures have moderated and swimming and a cold beer in the cockpit are perfect ways to enjoy this paradise.
Comments

About & Links