SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Watermaker woes

17 October 2011 | Guaymas, Mexico
Larry Nelson
We've left San Carlos and traveled 17 nm to Guaymas. We towed our friends aboard SV Gold Eagle to Guaymas so they could effect repairs of their engine. There is a shop here in amoung the shrimp boats that can really help them. It will take months, but the task will move forward. Guaymas is the Mexico industrial city where everything happens that needs to happen to keep all this super "stuff" working.

Karen and I are headed south to Mazatlan. We'll stop in Topolobampo along the way. It is a single overnight trip to Topolobampo from Guaymas and a double overnight trip from Topolobampo to Mazatlan....all depending of course on wind and sea conditions. We'll stand watch through the nights, get real tired and eventually reach our destination just as we are beginning to get the hang of working nights AND days. That's the nature of this "double handing" travel. Working together, we'll get it done. It is hard but we've done lots of hard things before. In Mazatlan we'll be joined by Ed and Connie Queseda who will crew for us all the way to the Galapagos. That way everyone on board gets enough sleep.

One LITTLE difficulty. Our watermaker wouldn't start making water when we turned it ON. (You might wonder why we didn't fill up our water tanks at the dock before we left? The answer is that the dock water isn't potable water. Those of you in the US that get good water whenever you turn on the tap should count your blessings.) It turned out that the valve next to the sink that drains the initial salty water into the sink somehow completely plugged up. Water won't flow through it. That builds up pressure in the fresh water outlet (to 800 psi) until O rings fail and water sprays all over the engine compartment. What a mess. Eventually we figured out what the problem was and jury rigged a hose around the offending valve but it took the whole afternoon...which was supposed to be spent relaxing and storing sleep for the trip ahead. Tomorrow morning we'll get underway and make enough water that we aren't "at risk" for running out. Then we can relax. Of course then we'll be standing all night watches so we really can't relax. Geez. Add to that we got shorted on the time with our friends Paul and Judy Meany (SV Grace) who traveled this short trip with us and then caught the bus back to San Carlos. We really enjoyed having them along and would have liked it to last longer. Having to fix the watermaker kind of wrecks socializiing at anchor.

The refrigerator is working though. We like that!
Comments

About & Links