SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Zip Line

09 November 2011 | Las Moches, Mx
Larry Nelson
There is no describing the first launch on a zip line. That is how we spent our last day in the canyon. It took about 3 hours to do the 7 zip lines that took us to the "bottom" of the canyon (which was only about half way down the canyon). We rode a tram back to the top. Then we caught the train to Las Moches where we are this morning.

The gear and the management of the activity were first class...that was comforting. The process starts with signing permission slips to kill each of us...just like in the US. Then we put on harnesses and tighten them way too tight (like cinching up horses with saddles). There is a pulley that attaches to the cable that is made of aluminum. Is it lubricated well enough? The wheels are about 4 inches in diameter and there are two of them. There is a "practice" zip line at the start of the course where the lead "zipper" tells us what can go wrong. I listen real closely and sure enough I experienced everything he told me could happen. There is no "practice" though. You listen to his very short lecture and then he asks who wants to go first? The first line is about 800 meters long. When you launch you accelerate and the pulleys start to scream and vibrate. Vibrate? Hey, are these things OK? Too late to ask. We are zipping 70-100km/hr and hanging suspended over a mountain canyon. If you brake (with your hand?) you will not make it up the other side to the platform. Sidewinds? They rotate you and are very hard to correct for. Drop your legs? The sidewind sensitivity increases and you slow down. That's bad. Karen came up short on the platform. Then she began to roll backwards toward the center of the zip line. Time to brake! Then turn around. Then hand over hand pull yourself to the platform. If you are too slow, one of the helpers clips on and zips down to you to hook his legs around you and helps you hand over hand (uphill) to the platform. They are young and agile and strong...a good thing. I got my wife back.

These cables are really long and you go really fast. The sound of the pulleys is alarming at first. I kept thinking of how if I moved my thumb about a cm it might touch the pulley and my thumb and hand and maybe arm would disappear. Later, I looked more closely at the mechanism and saw that it had protection against just that sort of thing. But I got to finish the first zip line before I got to look again at exactly how this was set up! Each line is about a minute long which is plenty of time to think about how fast things could go really wrong.

In between the zip lines they had suspension bridges. These bridges really moved when you walked on them! They were long and the boards at the bottom had big gaps in them. We gained a new appreciation for Indiana Jones.

This was really fun. It gave us views you couldn't get any other way and there was lots of fresh air. Everyone should do this.
Comments

About & Links