SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Beyond our reach, but in our hands

22 February 2012 | Marina Los Suenos, Costa Rica
Larry Nelson
Today didn't go as planned. No, nothing bad happened. We intended to make a short hop to Punta Leona, 21 nm and with luck we could sail half the distance. We got there early in the day and the water wasn't ugly with red tide. So we went swimming. For those of you in Seattle, try HARD to imagine 85F water, not too clear but acceptable. Smooth with only a light wind blowing. We were anchored and planning a little work on the zincs, a little cleaning of the bottom, and dinner of course. But first there is play to do.

Karen and I went swimming and as it happened a neighbor boat in the anchorage waved at us and so we swam to visit them and say hello. It turned out to be Roger and Adriana on SV Mariposa 2. Roger keeps his boat at Los Suenos Marina about a mile and a half away. He has a crew of 2 taking care of him and running the boat. So I took the opportunity to talk to him about the possibility of getting fuel at Los Suenos. I was worried about a lot of extra fees and about the need to schedule before coming to the fuel dock. Roger placed a few calls, got us an appointment at the fuel dock with no fees and invited us to join them for dinner at the restaurant where everyone "hangs out". And, as a guest of Roger there wouldn't be the normal $50 USD to park the dinghy. Wow! Let's do that! So after a quick replacement of the prop zinc we raised anchor and made for Los Suenos where we anchored outside the marina. About this time in your reading, you should look up this place on the internet. Think Southern California but with much more expensive boats and security on the radio that sounds like Navy Seals (when they aren't radio silent!). Roger's story is that this is the best marina in Central America. I believe it.

Dinner was expensive when you are used to eating out in Mexico, but it was very good and we really enjoyed our new company. Roger has a business that used to be in Costa Rica that he moved to Panama. He lives in Dallas. Texans are easy to like. He tells us that we are really going to like Panama.

At 8am sharp we showed up for our appointment at the fuel dock. Fuel is $4.60 USD per gallon and there is a $23 Environmental Fee. Still, the water at the fuel dock is potable and they volunteered its use not only to fill our water tanks but also to wash the boat (quickly please). Wow. Nice.

So what is the take home message? Not every surprise when you are out cruising is bad. This was a great one.
Comments

About & Links