SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Morning Report

22 March 2012 | Underway for Galapagos Islands Day 4
Larry Nelson
Trip Log: 10689 Day's progress: 150 nm (about) Miles to go: 711 Present speed over ground: 5.5 kn Present Heading: 233M Local Time: 9 am (although there is some debate between the clocks on board). UTC is 14:10

Last night we passed Punta Mala. Sure enough, we had to reef when the wind clocked to 24 kn and we were smoking fast for several hours, but curiously at the same instant that we passed the point, the wind died. We nursed our ship along at 3.5 knots for several hours as the wind backed and built. This morning finds us with 13.7 kn of true wind directly on our stern. We're making 5.5 kn on course with sails set wing and wing. The jib is poled out to starboard.

During the night we were visited by more porpoises. They come up on the stern and make rapid sucking sounds as they churn phosphorescent trails in the water. There were lots of them, I can't guess how many. It was a dark night with no moon (although we did have starlight).

Yesterday we made 106 AHr of electricity with the solar panels. Last night we used all that we had stored in the batteries from the solar panels and a little more. I'd say overnight we used 150 AHr Of course all the electricity that the solar panels make gets mostly used during the day especially in light of the fact that we made water all day. The electricity we use at night all needs replacing in the morning and that is way more than the solar panels can do. So this morning we are running the gen set. This works very well and is what most cruisers do. The gen set dumps charge into the batteries in the morning and then the solar panels trickle charge them up to a fully charged state during the day while also meeting the daytime running needs. By keeping the batteries fully charged after each cycle their life is extended.

Yesterday Karen cooked a turkey with dressing, sweet potatoes, and asparagus. We also got home made bread (which makes the grilled cheese sandwiches we had for lunch absolutely outstanding). This morning we are having fried egg, bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches again featuring the home made bread. That is something to get up for.

When we go fast, the computer says we will be in the Galapagos in 3.5 days. When we go slow it says 16 days. My best guess is 5 days from now. There is a vast wind hole in front of us but we do have this new engine so probably we will not just sit. For now we are making miles with the wind and that keeps the fuel aboard that we may need toward the end of the journey.
Comments

About & Links