SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Finally, boat lesson learned

15 May 2012 | Enroute to Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia from Galapagos
Larry Nelson
We've been having trouble getting our watermaker to run properly. Eventually we traced the problem to the sea chest where there was an obstruction at the watermaker port. We cleared that obstruction but still while it was improved we really couldn't make satisfactory water. Why? What to do? It's a difficulty that MUST be surmounted but there is no help. We checked the port on the sea chest was still clear. It was. Then we went to the bulkhead connector at the watertight bulkhead. It was clear. But when we took off the hose we noticed that the waterline is very very close to the height of the fitting. Even with the valve open at the sea chest almost no water flowed unless we lowered the hose. So...the light dawned. Where the valve to switch between salt water and fresh water in the engine room, the salt water line must be blead before assembly otherwise a bubble exists that cannot be cleared by the pumps and insufficient pumping of low pressure water to the clark pump will occur. That was our problem. The problem was exacerbated by our port side list when we sailed enroute to Nuka Hiva. The list raised the connection still higher and combined with the obstruction caused complete starvation of the salt water pumps. We have it properly primed and assembled now and we are making water. Importantly we have a much better understanding of the limitations of our installation and how to overcome them. The problem is at least circumvented if not solved. Boat lesson learned....very painful.

And we can also report that we now have a full fuel tank. To do that you med moor (drop the anchor and back toward the dock, then tie to a post on the dock to hold your stern an approximate distance from the dock (actually a concrete pier suitable for the supply ship). The surge in this area is very large plus we had about a 20 knot direct cross wind. Adrenaline pumped in the crew as we passed the fuel hose to the boat using the dinghy. Karen went ashore to take boat papers and fuel discount papers and the exact amount of fuel wanted. Eventually she got the fuel turned on and we filled up. Reverse the procedure to leave. Now that it is done, easy. Right?

So we called it the end of the work day and after showers ashore went out to dinner with SV Blue Rodeo (Mark and Anne). The hotel we picked was beautiful and located high above the bay for a first class view. The dining room was exquisite (and a little pricey). They have an infinity pool to drink next to and to eat overlooking. The walk home topped off the beautiful evening. It was about time. We've been in maintenance hell for several days and we are more than a little tired of it.

Tonight we are anchored in Daniel's Bay (Hakatea on the map) (about 6 nm from Taiohae Bay). Tomorrow we hike to the waterfall with friends. Tonight...Karen brought a few cold beers for us to drink in the cockpit with friends.
Comments

About & Links