SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Feeding the rays and watching the sharks

28 June 2012 | Anchored at Moorea, French Polynesia
Larry Nelson
This morning many of our friends were planning to dinghy about 3 miles along the inside of the fringing reef to a sandy shallow piece of the protected water where there are large rays that you can feed fish. It is a popular tourist thing to do. No wonder. These rays are soft and they mob you. Their mouths are on the underside of their bodies and are made of cartiledge with teeth like a duck (i.e. no real teeth). The experience is not unlike being assaulted by a bunch of furry puppies looking for affection and food. The rays are not furry, but they are soft as a puppy and like having their noses stroked and they love the fish you offer. These are large rays with 3-4 foot wingspans. they are beautiful to watch as they swim around you.

There are also black tipped reef sharks that come in from the deep water to check out the tourists and the fish scraps. They are fun to photograph but no one pets their noses.

We also stopped at an underwater park featuring Tiki's made of stone. We enjoyed the snorkeling. There were the little blue fish that everyone loves and some new light blue ones.

We dinghied back to the boat and took our nap. It may strike you that dingying is mostly what we are doing. Right on. This is a beautiful place. The bay we are in has green verdant mountains on all sides and then the lagoon out to the fringing reef. That lagoon has narrow navigable paths in crystal clear water with coral on both sides. It's like being in a swimming/wading pool in your dinghy only with lots to see. If something looks good, you can just slip into the water and check it out. The water is about 85F. And the dinghy is the ultimate convertible. Lots of visibility and lots to see. We checked out the intercontinental hotel. They have the requisite waterfront bungaloos for thousands of dollars per night and the great restaurants and bars overlooking their infinity pools.

After spending a nice night drinking Tahitian wine with friends and a good sleep, we've moved to Cooks bay. Today we took a walk through town and had pizza for lunch. Tonight we'll go ashore to a crowded local restaurant that is NOT part of a resort and see what there is to like?

Tomorrow we'll leave for Raiatea where we have an appointment with a sailmaker to get our mainsail repaired (on July 3). We'll be a little early, but there is lots to see and do in Raiatea and we do not want to miss our appointment.
Comments

About & Links