SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Birthday brings no relief from boat work

28 July 2012 | Tied to a Mooring Buoy in Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Larry Nelson
I've received a number of very nice birthday greetings since we arrived in Bora Bora. Anchoring in Bora Bora would seem to be an optimum way to celebrate a 67th birthday but life is never so simple. This birthday comes with a story.

Thursday the wind died enough to get us off the Uturoa dock with the goal of getting fuel. Unfortunately, as we motored away from the dock toward the fuel dock we noticed a very large power boat pulling in for fuel. Filling a large powerboat with fuel is usually a several hour experience so we elected to just keep going to Bora Bora. We'll get fuel there (we hoped). We started making water while motoring out of the lagoon. And then the engine began to hesitate. At first it was very slight hesitation. Then I noticed that I could not advance the throttle, or rather when I advanced it, nothing happened. No more power but we have some power. We were pretty close to the lagoon pass to the sea so I continued. After making it through the pass we raised the mainsail (double reefed), shut down the motor, and sailed toward Bora Bora. Winds were 20 knots. With the jib poled to weather we were sailing just fine. But of course when we got to Bora Bora the engine started but wouldn't develop much power. By the time we got through the pass we were down to 1000 rpm. The engine even died entirely once. Eventually we put down our anchor in 95 feet of water.

We spotted a friends boat, SV The Rose, but John and Pat weren't aboard. We took our dinghy into the yacht club where I could buy a beer and cry quietly into it. It wasn't long until John returned. I was so glad to have a friend to share my troubles with. It wasn't long until another friend (also named John) on SV Arsinius came to our table. I was thinking it might be the turbocharger. John of Arsinius said "It's ALWAYS fuel". I argued that the fuel filters were pretty new (500 hours on them) and I had switched the Raycore primary fuel filters to a filter that had never been used. I had also used my electric fuel pump fuel route (which I use to fill the filters). I didn't get any change at all with either tactic. Still, the fact that the engine wouldn't run even at idle (for a while) was a clue that was inconsistent with the turbo idea. But to do what we could, John of SV The Rose volunteered to come to Panta Rhei and we would change out the fuel filters and bleed the system down to the injectors (another suggestion from John of SV Arsinius). By the time John got to the boat I had the engine covers removed and had already spilled fuel out of the secondary fuel filter. It was hot and I was sweating profusely. It didn't take long to change out all the filters and bleed the system. We restarted the engine. No improvement at all. Geez. Then I thought to take off the air filer and actually look at the turbo inlet blades. It turned out that the turbine inlet blades spun just fine and in fact coasted a long time after the engine was shut down. They were beautifully clean too. That was good news since the fuel hypothesis probably wouldn't require parts that I didn't have. The fuel hypothesis remained all we had, but of course the engine still wouldn't run above about 1600 rpm. I noticed that the day tank sounded funny when I knocked on it. Empty? It says on the gage that it is almost full and I pumped fuel from it to refill the fuel filters that I had changed out. Maybe it wasn't completely empty and a little air was coming into the main fuel line? I removed the "vent" cap and turned on the electric fuel pump and the tank filled up. It WAS at least part way empty. We restarted the engine and it developed full rpm. Apparently the engine was getting air into the feed line from the day tank which had over time emptied enough to admit that air. So now I owe a few beers to John and John and we are back in business for leaving French Polynesia. We'll eat out and do a few more boat projects and maybe (I hope I hope) wash the sheets on the bed. Then we'll sign out and leave. We've dodged yet another bullet.

Maybe we haven't dodged all the bullets. The zipper on my pants failed this morning.

Karen fixed me a delicious eggplant dinner and is fixing me spam and eggs on homemade toast for breakfast. I'd say that I earned a few brownie points on my birthday.

The picture is of Bora Bora taken from space. Do you see our boat?
Comments

About & Links