SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Wind blows and I stand watch

27 August 2012 | Pago Pago American Samoa
Larry Nelson
It is Monday and I have errands to run, but I'm not. I'm standing watch during a series of squalls during which the wind blows (up to 28 knots so far). The holding for the anchor is poor here. SV Flo (who just arrived) anchored 9 times before giving up and hoping that the anchor set they had would work. It is clearly tenuous for everyone. SV Buena Vista is in front of us and slightly to starboard. They have dragged...a little. They are standing anchor watch too. The problem is that resetting the anchor likely wouldn't improve things and it might make them worse. As for Panta Rhei, we are holding so I'm not changing anything. If we drag, I will go to two anchors in series. The difficulty is that the anchorage appears to be rocky and fouled with debris that upsets any possibility of an anchor holding. We pulled up a sweat shirt wrapped on our anchor on the first attempt. At night we can hear the anchor chain dragging across the rocks on the bottom as the boat swings.

Karen has been ashore running errands. We are hiring a local seamstress to make a second sheet of sheets for our berth. We wore out the other second set.

The good news is that I have internet access so standing watch is almost fun.

In other news, we had a sump pump fail for the forward sink/shower drain. This is a simple system that fails frequently so we have spare parts. But putting them in is not easy. In fact it is about as hard as trying to drive your car 60 mph forward while looking only through a soda straw directed at the rear view mirror. We worked at this late into the night until I finally collapsed from exhaustion. There were only three screws left to install but they were impossibly difficult to access. Here is the bulletin: Karen did the hard part while I was asleep in bed. When I got up, it was done! Wow. Instant renewed love.

That same day we helped our neighbor with an even worse chore. Actually it was lots easier, but there was a risk that we would sink the boat which there wasn't with the sump pump. As it happened Bob's engine and transmission had parted due to vibration loosening the bolts that held them together. The ensuing melee in the engine compartment finished with his engine mounts broken and his propellor shaft bent (and of course the transmission disconnected from the engine). What to do? There are no haulout facilities here. He was able to put the transmission and engine back together and to get the whole assembly back onto the engine mounts (which are still broken). But to replace the propellor shaft, we would have to pull it out while the boat was in the water, leaving an inch and a half hole in the boat. We worked out a plan using wood plugs and some fast and coordinated actions both above and below water, basically 4 people yelling and doing all they can when they can. The plan worked. He has a new shaft (can you believe that he had a spare???) installed and the propellor is reattached. Problem is that the shaft was 1.5 inches too short! There is no end to the pain! But, the story continues. We have a spacer now and once new (longer) bolts are procured he will be good to go. This makes my little sump pump problem not seem so bad.

Of course the next morning Karen found what she thought was sewage in with our food under floor in front of the quarterberth. Thankfully it turned out to be oil from a broken gallon container that I had stored there. For a while I was a little worried...

The picture is a front face view of this cute new frigate bird I shared with you a few days ago.
Comments

About & Links