SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Sailing stories 1

31 October 2012 | Anchored at North Minerva Reef
Larry Nelson
We are anchored at Minerva, as reported, but many of our friends were already past Minerva and continued on. Others are trying to make it to Minerva. Both are having difficulty. We learn of this difficulty through the ssb net on 8131 kHz at 1830 UTC.

Those who are past Minerva are reporting up to 4 meter seas and 30 knot noserly winds, very rough conditions. Those coming to Minerva have 20 knot noserly winds and 3 meter seas. This is beyond what you can really motor into (considering that fuel matters) so all are sailing...tacking endlessly and making very slow progress. This is particularly true for the catamarans. To give you some idea of the stress on the crew, SV Blue Rodeo is considering making an entrance through the reef at night. We do have good waypoints which makes this the equivalent of an instrument approach but it is not a trivial undertaking in rough seas and the risk if something isn't quite perfect is cataclysmic. Remember the dance I told you that people do before entering? This skips the dance and places all the chips on the roulette table onto a double zero. Now you might be thinking, "What's the big deal. It's not a gale. Not a storm. Not a hurricane." True. This only underscores why those events are so unthinkably terrible. It really doesn't touch on understanding the difficulty that simply making the passage involves. In particular these waves are very "peaky"...so how does that fit into the comparison?

We are anchored and experiencing those same 20 knot winds with bouncy wind waves. This is not like being at the dock. It is wayyyy better than outside though. These conditions are attributable to a frontal passage. They will ease to light winds this evening. And stay light for several days. For those boats at sea, their passage speed will drop to nil. Remember that they are racing a low near Opua that will make conditions lots worse than last night. With no wind, they lose the race. Some will motor and they will face fuel exhaustion just as the weather gets really bad and they have the risks of being near land.

Do remember that the scale on which this game is played is huge. Boats near Minerva still have 800 miles to go to Opua or 260 nm to go back to Nukulofa. Remember, that is all water! Basically the pain lasts forever (at least a week, maybe two) for the crew. And every day the game changes. The weather systems move faster or slower and in different directions than were expected. The course plans, which were convoluted, become corrupted by actual conditions and a replan becomes a daily activity. This is unsettling if you crave security!

This morning on Gulf Harbor Radio (8752 kHz 0730 UTC) they say some models are showing 40 knots of wind for Minerva off the low that will pass nearby on Nov 7. (Now they tell me!!!) What to do? Do we stay at anchor and maybe be overwhelmed or do we head to sea and beat feet south? Trying to outrun weather in a sailboat is problematic. Bob McDavitt said our first opportunity to leave would be Nov 5.

Did I say this was a difficult passage?
Comments

About & Links