SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

The rest of the story

16 November 2012 | at the dock in Opua New Zealand
Larry Nelson
It's been a more than a week and most of the boats from our "flock" have arrived. Mike (SV Astarte) who was the coolest captain in the fleet on the SSB radio (you would have thought he was Chuck Yeager) completed the trip yesterday. He experienced 64 knot winds, 10+ meter seas, a runaway diesel engine, and a broken steering cable assembly. We had been here at the dock more than a week before he arrived. I'd call that a bad trip but Mike was in good spirits last night. So I asked him about the engine trouble? It turns out if the crankcase gets too full in a diesel, it can run (and you cannot throttle it) and you cannot stop it except by cutting off it's air. He cautioned that we should not try that with our hands! The steering cable problem was caused by a turning block that failed, causing the cable to come off the bell crank. When Mike came to the dock he was using his emergency tiller after using the autopilot on most of the trip. (The autopilot steers by a separate connection to the rudder stock). He managed to fix his diesel engine at sea. He didn't say what he did but he did say he was worried that the problem might reoccur (it didn't) which would have been a big deal if it occurred while he was docking.

The hero of the fleet, Bruce on SV Adventure Bound, has not arrived yet. Bruce went to the aid of Wendigo, who sank. Apparently initial reports that they were in their life raft were not right. They had no life raft! Bruce worked his way 30 nm upwind to standby while a large cargo ship picked Wendigo's crew off their boat with their crane. I had wondered how the crew would get from their boat to SV Adventure Bound? Remember the weather was ultra bad, so bad that everyone experiencing it had serious problems just surviving themselves. SV Astarte was close to SV Adventure Bound which served to add credibility to the reported severity of the weather conditions. Our cruising community has prepared a special welcome for SV Adventure Bound when they finally get here. There are gales passing through this area which SV Adventure Bound has to transit in order to get in. His ordeal isn't over until he arrives.

We've arranged to haul SV Panta Rhei out of the water for some repairs to the rudder (from the cable incident in El Salvador) and the swim step (loose mounting caused by compressed wood under the mount) and for new bottom paint. Our haul out happens next Thursday. This is a big deal. The travel lift is busy and we scored a cancellation slot. We'll be staying on SV Gypsea Heart (with Rankin and Sandy Tibbets) during the haul out. We've finished paying off our car (many trips to the cash machine were involved) and we've ordered LOTS of spares and repair parts from the local Chandelery. The balance of payments from the US to NZ has shifted noticeably, and the outflow hasn't even begun to slow yet.

We're loving it here. Thai food tonight with friends. We finished the week long cruiser's party and it was a tremendous success. The dock power is wonderful and changes our lifestyle noticeably. We've made arrangements to get a new mainsail when we are in Auckland. We can continue the rest of the work on the boat while we are seeing the "big city".

Today, Lauren Buckholtz from SV Piko is coming to visit. (His boat is in Auckland now) and we will get his briefing on visiting Fiji, which we are planning to do next "winter".

The picture is of Haruru Falls with Larry standing close to the falls. The scenery in NZ is wonderous.
Comments

About & Links