SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Boatyard Blues

25 November 2012 | Opua NZ
Larry Nelson
We've hauled out to do repairs and update the bottom paint. It is not just the boatyard technicians that are working on Panta Rhei. The crew is hard at work, too. We've repaired the deck switch for the windlass and changed out all the filters in the fresh water system (and repaired an occluded hot water line). Our rudder is repaired now. Work on the swim step begins today. Karen was up at 5:30 am today working on varnish in and around the galley. I have to get the defunct fresh water pump out of deep storage on the boat and get a repair process started. This will involve shipping the motor somewhere. The local chandlery (Cater marine) gets this done for us. Nice. And when we take things in to them, they give us Magnum ice cream bars. I can hardly wait to buy more things from Cater Marine. We are having the side stays re-bedded. They leaked during the storm...only a little....but that was a little too much. Of course the bottom repair is a little more involved that we hoped. There will be some work on the lead keel. And in the process of placing the boat in the cradle some damage was done to the gel coat on the stern. That will be repaired. How long will all this take? No one knows. We want to be back in the water by Dec 1. Hope springs eternal.

While we are hauled out, our friends on SV Gypsea Heart are hosting us aboard their boat. It is a 47 foot catamaran. We are in the starboard hull. Those of you who have not stayed aboard a catamaran may not appreciate how really nice this is. The vessel has sightlines from the galley and salon that give good view of the water. We are near the ferry dock so we have a pretty unrestricted view off the back deck, too. The catamaran is 10 feet wider than SV Panta Rhei. It's like living in a small apartment. GRAND. The food's spectacular, too.

Everything takes time and we are constantly working to keep things moving through their work process. Some things are starting to "come back" to us. That is the good part. The bad part is that we have to figure out how to actually solve problems. We have lots of uncertainty and concern while we work on things. Many things don't have repairmen. If they are to be fixed, the owner has to figure out how to get it done. Direct replacements are a dream not frequently realized. The boat is now 12 years old and industry has "moved on". All this creates "angst". Relief comes when you splash. So we are looking forward to being back in the water.
Comments

About & Links