SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Visiting friends in Hamilton NZ

29 April 2013 | Hamilton, NZ
Larry Nelson
We are making progress on several maintenance fronts. The drive shaft is reinstalled, the heat exchanger is rebuilt, and the fuel lines are all removed. And the good news is that while some of this was happening, Karen and I were visiting friends Debbie and Keith Clausen in Hamilton NZ. I have a picture with this posting so you can see who they are. They are standing in front of a Remu tree. Remember the wood that Grant made our anchor brace with? Well, its precious wood from a NZ native tree and now you can see that this tree is different. Actually it grows in many places in NZ but only slowly. Its a protected species. I was surprised to see that its foliage looked like desert foliage.

We met Debbie and her daughter Sarah on the Milford Track and we had them aboard Panta Rhei for a weekend of local sailing. Now we get to see where they live. Keith is a builder who is just a (very) little younger than Larry. They shared their home and their community with us and even took us to the nearby seashore town on the Tasman side of NZ (Raglan) which featured kite surfing, surfing, skateboard parking, great seaside views and restaurants and a georgous drive through NZ farmland. We also got to go to Keith's bother's dairy. He milks an awful lot of cows every day (about 750). Its an impressive process. It is also the number one industry in NZ, so it really completes our tourist view of the country! There is a lot to learn here. Their lives are shaped just slightly differently than ours by their assured medical care and retirement income. They are considerably more entrepreneurial than people in the US. They can take risk. They work just as hard as we do in the US, but they are more aggressive about starting small enterprise. The humor is similar, but the words they use are curious. We had cackleberries (eggs) for breakfast and ate so much that Larry gained a stone (14 pounds)...or fraction thereof. Their food is great, yet they do not have Velveeta cheese. Can you believe it?
Comments

About & Links