SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Arrived in Tarawa, Keribati

09 October 2015 | Tarawa, Kerabati
Larry Nelson
After 8 days we arrived at the Tarawa Atol, pretty much as planned. We had terrific wind for the first 5-6 days, then it died and we had to motor. Motoring isn't so bad when it is finding you land in what appears to be unbounded water. We slowed so that we could arrive at first light so at about 6 am we had completed the entrance through the reef and were anchored. We knew we were somewhat off the beaten path, but as it turns out, we are the only yacht in the anchorage. No other yachts since we arrived either.

This was the scene of the first heavy combat of WW2. Tomorrow we will tour the battle scenes with a guide to explain what we are seeing.

First up on arrival was to find water. Yes, we arrived at one of the driest places in the ocean with a broken Clarke Pump. No product water at all. And, while we are about it, we need fuel for the next leg to Majuro Marshall Islands. As in Luganville, the trick is to get to a dock where they can deliver it. The winds have been pounding the dock, making it impossible to come alongside. We found water made by RO (Reverse Osmosis) from a local fish processing factory. With a few days notice, they could sell us 600 liters for $0.30 AUD per liter. Fuel is also available for $1.33 AUD per liter. The weather forecast suggests that in 3-4 days it might calm down and be possible to come to the dock. We have enough water to wait, and this starts the staging for going on to Majuro, still 400+ nm away.

So what is Tarawa like? It is crowded, like being in an India slum but with better construction standards. This atol is only a few feet above sea level (maybe 2-4 feet) stuffed to the gills with people and buildings. There is one road down the spine of the Atol. It is being refurbished by Australia and even as that happens, it is being reclaimed by the ocean. Many many work crews are replacing parts that the ocean is washing away as the refurbishment also happens. Traffic is congested due to the construction.

There is a conference on Forced Migration caused by Global Warming. This appears to be the first land destined to go beneath the rising ocean. They have acquired land in Fiji to move to. How would you like living with that reality? Here is how they are handling it ......The local newspaper has a full page english article about how Global Warming is a hoax perpetuated by scientists who are after grant money. Really! Clearly, the conference shows this is taken as reality by many. Even so, with ocean on the doorstop and the road going away, there are deniers. If you are thinking that this is just a little island, think differently. There is major stuff here. This is a very big deal. Realize too that people here are very poor. They have no means to create their own alternatives.

One more thing, Jeff and Brenda had to leave early for a health emergency in the family. There is an airport, and more importantly an airplane that will take them to Majuro. After a two day layover they can get a plane to Hawaii and then home. We will miss them. They were good crew.

The photo shows horseback riding at Ratua, Vanuatu. The ride included a swim in the ocean with the horses. Pretty cool!
Comments

About & Links