SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

No Room at the Inn?

28 October 2015 | Majuro, Marshall Islands
Larry Nelson
Boats are arriving at Majuro. This is the hurricane season in the South Pacific. You can go south to New Zealand or North to Majuro. The problem is that there aren't enough good moorings. A good mooring is frequently maintained. We thought we had arranged for a good mooring. But apparently someone else arranged a little sooner or a little better. Suddenly we had no mooring to use, starting about a week from now. So begins the "hustle". Friends said a new mooring was being put in today!

Karen and I were in the bar today watching Kansas City beat the Mets in the first game of the world series. While that was going on, the fellow that was going to place the new mooring tried to float it away from the shore. With the lift bags he had, he couldn't get enough lift to allow him to pull it with his boat (and therefore tow it out into position). If he had succeeded we would have had that mooring. But he didn't succeed and it is not clear yet how he will succeed. The mooring we thought we had turned out not to be available. But, we met Cary Evarts who owns some moorings in the south field. He has a mooring tied to an old anchor off a 90 foot steel boat and having 60 feet of bar stiffened chain and tomorrow it will have a NEW 1 inch rope with new chafe protection. I paid him for the period ending June 1 2016. So we are set. I like it better than where we are now. Quieter. Fewer boat wakes. 2$ per day. I'm happy. I'll move tomorrow. There are more boats coming and not enough moorings. Some will have to anchor. That is not terrible, but it is not as good as what I've got. We went for a period this morning where it looked like we would be leaving this mooring and anchoring a week from now. Now, all better. Whew.

Saturday, the water maker representative for Spectra will come to the boat. Maybe early next week we will be able to make water again.

We have the jib bagged and ready to bring ashore to sew the sun cover back onto the leech of the jib. A friend has a sewing machine and access to a building where we can lay the sail on the floor and sew it.

We have a lot of slow motion initiatives going on that will keep our home on the water ready to go next June and happy until then.

The picture shows our neighbor in the anchorage. Note the spotting tower for finding fish and seeing fishing operations. There are dozens of fishing vessels like this in harbor. Fishing is no longer local or small boat operations. There are networks of boats that work in concert to find and catch and move fish to market.
Comments

About & Links