South Pacific Tour/Demelza

11 March 2016
29 February 2016
26 March 2012 | Sidney BC
12 May 2011 | 16 29.36s 151 45.41w
03 May 2011 | French Poly
01 April 2010 | Revillagigedo Is/ San Benidicto
26 March 2010 | Puerto Vallarta
19 March 2010
01 March 2010 | Puerto Vallarta
07 February 2010
22 January 2010
20 November 2009
28 November 2008
24 November 2008
01 November 2008
15 October 2008

Travels with Luke

11 March 2016
Travelling with Luke is like travelling with a Rock Star, you have to see it to believe it.
Mexico was another level. The Mexicans could not get enough of him. Bonito Perro Grande is what they would say,( Big pretty dog).The local drunk at Carneval hugging and kissing him, the beautiful Senorita underneath our restaurant table making a fuss over him and getting her picture taken with him, or the circle of kids petting him and taking his picture. He most often gets a reaction from people and often it`s funny or touching. The street vendor in Cabo who wanted to borrow him and we would split the prophets; Peppy the Chihuahua who became sexually aroused ( most Mexican male dogs are intact) and Peppys owner offered to get a stool; or the passer-by that swerves to stroke him as they pass. I decided if you want a picture of Luke I get a picture of you and Luke but I didn`t carry out my plan. One night on our way to the Malecon and Carneval we passed the Naval base near Marina De La Paz. It was almost dark and the sentry was at his post guarding the entrance. All we could see was 2 eyes, a hard hat ,and a gun barrel from above the concrete posting. Next thing we knew out came a phone/camera and hanging over the top he asked if he could take a picture of Luke. That would have been quite a picture, Luke and soldier complete with AK47.
Sometimes it can turn into a gong show. Bahia Pichilingue, a lovely spot north of La Paz and quite a few Mexicans out enjoying this lovely spot on a Sunday. There was a professional photo shoot taking place out on the point. A lovely young model in scanty bikini was parading back and forth followed by 2 cameramen doing their thing. Occasionally she would duck behind the rocks and come out wearing a different bikini. Being one who appreciates beauty I thought Luke and I should go for a closer look. Soon after arrival Luke was surrounded by kids and adults, a number wanting to get his picture. I thought I better get out of there and a parade of kids followed us back to the parking lot.
Luke is such a good dog. I could take Luke to visit the Queen. One of the pictures I regret not having taken was Luke patiently waiting outside the typical Mexican tienda, brightly painted in Pacifico yellow and blue, while Elizabeth and I picked up groceries. All I have to do is tell him to stay and he does.
I rarely put Luke on a leash. We don`t do leashes. Walking the streets of La Paz he would stay just ahead of me taking in all the smells of Mexico. The many neighborhood dogs , a lot of them behind gates, would come bark bark bark. Luke would pass and ask himself, What`s his problem??? Crossing the street I just have to say his name and he comes to me where I can take his collar.
Our Luke is a lot of fun to have along. We are very lucky to have such a wonderful companion.
Comments
Vessel Name: Demelza
Vessel Make/Model: Vancouver 32PH
Hailing Port: Victoria BC
Crew: David & Elizabeth Newsome/ Cremona Alberta
About:
We are from farming country Alberta but always had a passion for water. That passion was satisfied for years by paddling trips in northern Canada or coastal BC until Demelza entered our lives in 2003. That is when we upsized and took the plunge. The learning curve was steep and challenging. [...]
Extra:
Demelza is hull #1 of only about a dozen Vancouver 32 PH made. As a result she was featured in Sailor magazine with her designer Robert Harris sailing on San Francisco bay in 1986; the article was featuring a new blue water cruiser that took the comfort and well being of her crew into [...]

Who: David & Elizabeth Newsome/ Cremona Alberta
Port: Victoria BC