Parlay - Where's Parlay

Retired in October 2013 and sailed down to Queensland. In July 2015 decided to sail around SE Asia taking our little dog Whiskey with us this is our journey for our friends & family

Vessel Name: Parlay
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 52
Hailing Port: Darwin Australia
Crew: Ray, Shaunnaugh & Whiskey
13 May 2018 | Belitung
13 May 2018 | Belitung Indonesia
11 July 2016 | Koh Phangan
10 June 2016 | Koh Samui
10 June 2016 | Koh Samui
04 June 2016 | Kualu Terenggua
04 June 2016 | Kualu Terenggua
31 May 2016 | Tioman
19 May 2016 | shaunnaugh
18 March 2016
15 March 2016 | Ko Lippe
23 February 2016
23 February 2016
Recent Blog Posts
13 May 2018 | Belitung

May 2017 to 2018

Parlay and her crew went into boring mode as of last May due to the fact that we had to put her into dry dock and fly back to that third would county called Australia to visit friends and family and to do business. We left Parlay at Pangkor island marina about 200km west of Kuala Lumpa. Shaunnaugh flew [...]

13 May 2018 | Belitung Indonesia

May 2017 to May 2018

Parlay and her crew went into boring mode as of last May due to the fact that we had to put her into dry dock and fly back to that third would county called Australia to visit friends and family and to do business. We left Parlay at Pangkor island marina about 200km west of Kuala Lumpa. Shaunnaugh flew [...]

12 August 2017

Where's Parlay- Pangkor Marina

Hi Everyone,

11 July 2016 | Koh Phangan

29/6/16 to 6/7/16

29/6/16 to 6/7/16

02 July 2016

Koh Samui 1 June - 28 June

1 /6/16 to 28/6/16.

10 June 2016 | Koh Samui

P. Rendang to Koh Samui

25/5/16 P. Rendang

Travelling to the East Side of Malaysia

15 May 2016
Shaunnaugh
March 2016
On the 9/3/16 we left Koh Lipe to go to Langkawi. We are worried about Cheryl's ribs and if they will let her fly home. When we got to the marina we had to clear in to Malaysia but we forgot about the time difference and ended up rushing on arrival to clear in before the office closed.

After clearing into Malaysia we took Cheryl to the hospital and after medical tests and x rays she got a letter to give her the OK to fly home. We took her to buy her duty free and the next day we went to the skycab and had a farewell/birthday dinner for Cheryl. On the 11/3/16 we took Cheryl to the airport to fly back to Darwin. We hoped she had a good time on the boat; at least she will have a lot to talk about.

Our plan was to catch up on a bit of bookwork then do a cruise around Langkawi island stopping in the little bays and inlets but we had a call from Straits Marina Penang telling us that we if we got there in 2 days they had a marina berth available for 2 weeks. We need that berth to get our Thai Visa and our medical check-up so we arrange to leave ASAP.

We decided to overnight it at P. Payar, that was my (Shaunnaugh's) idea and a shit idea it was, when we got there it was too late to change our plans. All the mooring buoys had been removed except for a monster of a buoy which had its ropes removed. Our only option was to shackle a rope to it in rough sea, it took us about 3 tries and we lost 1 shackle but we done it. Then we stayed on the buoy overnight, the wind got stronger and it was very rough. We had to regularly take turns in getting up to check if all was OK. Needless to say we left at first light, because of the winds we sailed most of the way, we even had to slow the boat down and we got there at the time the marina suggested 3pm so we had a berth for 2 weeks yippy.

We arranged Ray's and my medicals and we passed with good results, and yes Ray does have a brain and I do have a heart (that's a relief). Whiskey had her immunisation and check-up. We all have the medical check-up at the same time, easier to remember. We arranged our Thailand visa, restocked the boat. We hired a car and went for a road trip with Whiskey, we visited the toy museum, dam, Teluk Bahang, up over the mountain to the tropical fruit farm and done a loop back through Georgetown. It was a great little tour. Our favourite was the toy museum. We had been in contact with Darwin friends Mal and Agnus who was due to come into Penang on a cruise and we were hoping on catching up but the marina told us the man who owned the berth was returning early and we got asked to leave. I was looking forward to catching up with our friends but as there aren't any good anchorages that time of year in Penang and we opted to leave for Pangkor.

29/3/16 Pangkor Island, it's HOT, Malaysia is going thru a heatwave, one person is reported to have died and I think Whiskey and I will be the 2nd and 3rd on the list. It is so hot on the boat in the middle of the day with no wind we go ashore to the restaurant its cooler on the land under the trees. Then at night we run the A/C with the genset for a couple of hours to cool off the boat before bed. Not a breath of wind and after 3 days I told Ray that we must go into the marina to have some A/C I was assisted by Whiskey crying and begging for relief.

1/4/16 Pangkor Marina. As soon as we got into the marina and plugged in the power the A/C pump burnt out. Ray being the brilliant person he is re-routed the pumps and after a couple of hours we had A/C. Pangkor Marina although fully booked kindly let us stay a few extra days (it ended up to be almost a month) to do the repairs. Ray said the pump needs to be rewound, Pangkor is where the Navy Base is situated and they have very good workshops in neighbouring Lumut. The pump rewound was going to take a week so we decided to bring our schedule maintenance of varnishing in the cockpit forward so it isn't a waste of time being here. 2 days later the refrigeration pump broke the shaft, we can't find a replacement pump for less than 2 month delivery for this pump either so we send the shaft away to get a new one machined. Ray doesn't think they can remake it but when we get it back 8 days later they have done an excellent job. Actually they done an excellent job with both pumps but we need to get a spare pump for the fridge as it isn't going to last very long.

Meanwhile we have caught up with our buddies from the previous the rallies. Ray and I found a tenpin bowling alley and he organised a tenpin bowling night and we had a pizza night as well as going out for dinner and lunch with a few people. Our time meeting up with everyone has been wonderful but it is also a sad time as we know some of these people we will never meet again as they are going back to their home countries.

I get the flu 2 weeks into the stay at the marina, when I shake the flu I am stuck with a lung infection so bad that I get dizzy and weak. I end up on antibiotics I am not well but after 27 days in the marina it is time to leave and continue our trip to the East Coast of Malaysia/Thailand.

May 20016 - We have an uneventful sail to Port Dickson stopping along the way each night, we have met up with another yacht Nereid, it is funny because we have so much in common with these people I feel like we are old friends. They are sailing in the same direction so we sail together. At Port Dickson we share a car and go to Malacca for the day. It was a great day we had a great lunch. Nereid decided to stay longer at Admiral Marina and we want to get around to the East Malaysia coast and chill out at an island while waiting for the Sail East Malaysia Rally to move one, so we leave the next day. Just before Singapore I give into Ray's request for me to go to the hospital for tests. We book into Putrie Marina and get them to organize for my hospital trip. The next morning I woke up early and took Whiskey for a walk. I can't believe it, I can finally breathe and I feel better. I decide to cancel the hospital trip and keep going to the East Coast. Before we leave we meet up with Lloyd from Kalili. He is travelling the same direction so we travel together.

It was an uneventful trip past Singapore except the belts broke on the m/engine, we were lucky not to be in the shipping lane, we unfurled the jib for me to ghost sail in no wind, just missing the ships on anchor. Later that day Ray got chased by a big ship doing circles and being annoying, it was so bad that he had to furl in his sails (that something he doesn't like to do) and finally both Ray and I got warnings about being in the restricted zone but in our defence we had to keep out of the tide to make any headway. Maybe it wasn't so uneventful after all.

We arrive at Sibu Island on 8/5/16 to be continued another day .....
Comments
Parlay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 9 March 2016
Some photos of us in Thailand
47 Photos
Created 7 March 2016
We caught up with Gayle and Ian for New Year and went crusing for a few weeks. We dropped them off at the marina then Lisa joined us for 4 days
42 Photos
Created 6 February 2016
We had some water damage to our floor so we decided to get it repaired at "yacht haven marina" they do a really good job. The named of the guy was Mali but I forget the name of the company
10 Photos
Created 6 February 2016

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups