Parlay - Where's Parlay

Retired in October 2013 and sailed down to Queensland. In July 2015 decided to sail around SE Asia taking our little dog Whiskey with us this is our journey for our friends & family

Vessel Name: Parlay
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 52
Hailing Port: Darwin Australia
Crew: Ray, Shaunnaugh & Whiskey
13 May 2018 | Belitung
13 May 2018 | Belitung Indonesia
11 July 2016 | Koh Phangan
10 June 2016 | Koh Samui
10 June 2016 | Koh Samui
04 June 2016 | Kualu Terenggua
04 June 2016 | Kualu Terenggua
31 May 2016 | Tioman
19 May 2016 | shaunnaugh
18 March 2016
15 March 2016 | Ko Lippe
23 February 2016
23 February 2016
Recent Blog Posts
13 May 2018 | Belitung

May 2017 to 2018

Parlay and her crew went into boring mode as of last May due to the fact that we had to put her into dry dock and fly back to that third would county called Australia to visit friends and family and to do business. We left Parlay at Pangkor island marina about 200km west of Kuala Lumpa. Shaunnaugh flew [...]

13 May 2018 | Belitung Indonesia

May 2017 to May 2018

Parlay and her crew went into boring mode as of last May due to the fact that we had to put her into dry dock and fly back to that third would county called Australia to visit friends and family and to do business. We left Parlay at Pangkor island marina about 200km west of Kuala Lumpa. Shaunnaugh flew [...]

12 August 2017

Where's Parlay- Pangkor Marina

Hi Everyone,

11 July 2016 | Koh Phangan

29/6/16 to 6/7/16

29/6/16 to 6/7/16

02 July 2016

Koh Samui 1 June - 28 June

1 /6/16 to 28/6/16.

10 June 2016 | Koh Samui

P. Rendang to Koh Samui

25/5/16 P. Rendang

29/6/16 to 6/7/16

11 July 2016 | Koh Phangan
Ray Jones
29/6/16 to 6/7/16
Nereid dropped anchor at Bo Phut, so I jokingly asked them to come for storm drinks instead of sundowners as we seem to get storms just before sunset, anyway I must have cursed us because at about 4pm the storm from hell hit. A small charter yacht was first to take off dragging the pick it flew past us like he was under full sail but finally he got it under control and pulled up about 100 meters behind us, then it was Nereid’s turn and not long after it was our turn to drag. Luckily the boats that dragged anchor all had their crew on board, the only boat at anchor that didn’t have any crew didn’t drag and he came out to his boat just as the storm abated. Ian and I both agreed that the wind was probably about fifty Knots. It increased by 5 knots per beer we drank, while discussing the storm at the markets that night. We had a great time at the markets and went to 3 different areas to listen to bands.
The next day we left for the “Ang Thong National Park, 21Nm to the west of Samui. We motored all the way and dropped the anchor with the idea of going and looking at the islands interior lake. We were told we had to go to park headquarters to pay park fees and that Whiskey (both the dog and liquid form) was not allowed ashore at the National Park.
We stayed the night and went in around morning to the HQ bay and paid our 640 TB and had a looked around. We decided to climb the mountain to the lookout the next morning. When we started the trail there was an abundance of the cutest black and white faced monkeys, they put on a good show for us leaping from tree top to tree top. The trail was paved at the lower section but the steeper upper section was raw. The last 30 metre was sharp coral type rocks on the edge of a cliff face. I went ahead to check out the trail and found the going difficult and dangerous. I indicated to Shaunnaugh that it may not be worth getting injured just for the extra 20 meters. As it was she had started up about 10meters and had become stuck. I was only a few meters from the platform so I thought I would go up and take a quick photo. As my head got above the platform I could clearly see that there was a mating ritual being performed by 2 homosapians. Thankfully they were male and a female. I wasn’t sure what to do, should I take photos? Maybe I should film it for one of David Attenboughs wildlife shows or just go up and applaud the performance. I was also hoping that these people who were obviously overcome by their wild surroundings didn’t try leaping from the tree tops. In the end I stayed below the platform and took some photos of the mountains and island below while listening to the noises of the ritual above, after the last groan I went up and took some photos of the view of the other side of the mountain.
When we returned to the boat we pulled anchor and move on to look have a look at the natural stone bridge, the lake and the islands to the north. We decided to give the lake a miss as it was another two hour hike and we hadn’t recovered from the last one and I didn’t think they could outdo the previous wildlife show. We stayed the night and moved to the much talked about Koh Tao 25Nm north, famous for its clear waters and good diving.
We dropped anchor in Hin Wong bay with guidance of Frank a local of 20 years of German decent who is married to a Thai woman. We went ashore for lunch at Diane’s restaurant. The bay is boulder fringed with one small beach which our new acquaintance, Frank, showed us as I had to tow him in as he had run out of fuel. After lunch we had to pass a beach bar to get to our boat and an Aussie guy struck up a conversation so we had to stop for a drink. When I say Aussie he was born in France and moved to Ireland and then immigrated to Stralia. Boy, what an accent he had, he was with a Canadian girl and they were having a conversation with Mol, the local Thai owner of the bar and beach. The conversation was interesting to say the least, especially being that Mol can do lots of different accents.
The party was broken up when the 5 o’clock storm hit, 1hr early then expected so we bolted back to the boat. Whisky who is generally petrified of storms sat on my lap in the dingy with her head up as we flew into the driving rain, once on board she danced around on deck in the rain barking like there was no tomorrow. We still haven’t worked out what got into her as normally she would be a shivering wreck.
The next day we asked Mol if she could organize a car to take us over to the main town on the other side of the mountain. This was done in a very high Tec manner of screaming out to Diane, at the restaurant up the hill, who told us that it won’t be long and proceeded to wander around to find someone. After about 20 minutes we decided to walk but the hill was the steepest I have ever seen so we gave up just as our ride arrived. Thank goodness we didn’t walk. In all these islands around here they don’t build the roads in a zig zag over the mountains they go straight up. They are so steep if you have 2 people on a motor bike, the passenger has to jump off and walk as the bike just can’t make it. We had a good day in the big smoke but were happy to get back to our secluded little bay with Mols secluded little bar. This time Hubert the French, Irish, Aussie had two of his mates an American Swedish Aussie with A.D.D and he liked drinking red bull and an Aussie born and bred which was good because he could translate for the other two, we had lots of laughs with them even though was hard as it was understand what was being said.
The next day off to Koh Nang Yuan which are three small islands joined by a beach at neap tides. The beach will submerge on high water springs. An interesting place but I have been to a lot of places like this but without the tourists running all over it. It would have been a nice place once but they have turned it into a commercial jungle. We had lunch and sailed on to Mango bay in central north Koh Tao and we picked up a mooring, had a swim and went to a restaurant up the top of a 100 metre stair case looking over the bay. We had 5 star views and 5 star meals.
The next day all the dive boats come and fill all the moorings and commence diving instruction. A lot of people come here to do their dive tickets as it is cheaper and after watching them it looked quiet thorough. The water is very clear here and there are a lot of divers around and under our boat so I put on some goggles and have a look around. There are lots of hollow blocks about ½ a metre square stacked on the sea floor; I think it is to encourage coral growth to go to the sandy areas from the existing coral growth on the shore line fringe reef. I am not sure if this is a good idea or not.
Spent a few days here relaxing, swimming, diving and mowing the grass above the waterline on the hull and then sailed back down to Koh Phangan to get internet and vegetables. We sailed down the west coast as the weather was flat and it would be OK to anchor there however all the beaches had fringe reefs making it hard to get ashore with the dingy. In the end we up sailing around the whole island calling in to Haad Rin or full moon party bay for lunch. We organized a take away curry for dinner. It was too rollie on anchor here so we pulled anchor and travelled up to Haad Thong bay and the anchorage here was perfect. There were three other yachts were here Quasar, Brick house and Nereid. We made arrangements to go to dinner with Ian and Alison and they came back to our boat for Bailey’s, chocolate brownies (made by Shaunnaugh), some shit music and jokes.
We have a special effect on people as we woke up in the morning, Nereid was gone. That’s one boat down and two to go, we will work on them today. We had a quiet day doing paper work and fixing auto pilots. Chris from Quasar invited us over for sundowner drinks and said that Brickhouse would be there too. It was a good evening and we came back and had our take away curry for dinner. At 4am a storm blew up and my anchor alarm went off. We were dragging anchor and coming down on Quasar quite quickly in the 40knot squalls. I started the motor and drove forward to stop us hitting Quasar and the wind shifted about 60 degrees pushing us away from Quasar I eased the engine down. I was as happy to see that the anchor had reset with us 50 meters abeam of Quasar. Chris called up as we were closer and I told him the situation and we agreed it was safer to stay as we were until morning. We rode it out until first light and the wind had dropped to 30kns and we pulled anchor and reset 200 metres away. I was sure that would have that special effect on them and they would leave but it looks like they’re stuck with us as a strong wind warning has set in for a few days.
We had about 30 local fishing boats come and anchor in the bay because of the bad weather. They are anchored in two groups of 10 with only 1 or 2 anchors down and as soon as the wind picks up 1 of the groups take off all still tied together, they all calmly cast off from each other and go and re-anchor in smaller groups. The other group of 10 goes through the night with no apparent problems.
Comments
Parlay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 9 March 2016
Some photos of us in Thailand
47 Photos
Created 7 March 2016
We caught up with Gayle and Ian for New Year and went crusing for a few weeks. We dropped them off at the marina then Lisa joined us for 4 days
42 Photos
Created 6 February 2016
We had some water damage to our floor so we decided to get it repaired at "yacht haven marina" they do a really good job. The named of the guy was Mali but I forget the name of the company
10 Photos
Created 6 February 2016

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups