Paul's Sailing Adventures

This is so that you can see what I am doing.

18 November 2008 | San Carlos - Phoenix-Las Vegas
17 November 2008 | San Carlos
16 November 2008 | Sea of Cortez
15 November 2008 | Southwest of Isla San Francisco
14 November 2008 | La Paz
13 November 2008 | Bahia de los Muertos
12 November 2008 | Bahia Frailes
11 November 2008 | Bahia Frailes
10 November 2008 | Bahia San Jose
07 November 2008 | Cabo San Lucas
06 November 2008 | Bahia Santa Maria to Cabo San Lucas
04 November 2008 | Bahia Santa Maria
02 November 2008 | Turtle Bay to Bahia Santa Maria
01 November 2008 | Turtle Bay to Bahia Santa Maria
31 October 2008 | Turtle Bay (Bahia de Tortugas)
30 October 2008 | Turtle Bay (Bahia de Tortugas)
29 October 2008 | First leg - into Turtle Bay
28 October 2008 | First Leg - toward Turtle Bay
27 October 2008 | The start to Turle Bay 10.27.08
25 October 2008 | San Diego

2008 Baja Ha Ha - preparation

25 October 2008 | San Diego
Author: Paul; Weather: Mostly sunny
It is that time of year again: The Baja Ha Ha sailing regatta. I
suspect this years trip will be substantially the same, so don't feel
obligated to read these updates!

Please feel free to forward it to anyone you think may be interested.

First, some general background. Alison (my sail instructor and friend)
and I are crewing on a 43' Hans Christian. It is truly a stunning boat
and some of you have visited on it and can picture it in your mind. "Serenity" belongs to Jackie and Stan, a retired
couple (he is only semi-retired) from Phoenix. Great people.

Last year the updates were sent via HAM radio, this year it will be via
satellite phone.

Anywhere, here goes:

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Woke up to discover I had forgotten my cell phone, so Wendy and I went to my apartment to pick it up - great start and my confidence that I had packed everything is now eroding. Got to the apartment at 6:30. Got the airport without a hitch and the ride was smooth; arrived in San Diego approximately 9:30 a.m. Where Alison picked me up. We went to the dock where I helped wrap up the rummage sale they were having at the marina.

Allison Jackie and I went grocery shopping at four grocery stores and
spent an amazing $425 for groceries. For last year's trip, Allison and I
remember spending approximately $1000 for provisioning. So far so good.

After returning from the grocery trip, I went out and bought my Mexican fishing license. This was intentionally done that so that we could dump unpacking groceries on Jackie. We returned to the boat where Ryan joined us. We then went to dinner at Miguel's for a fair well/bon voyage dinner with Ryan and some of Stan and Jackie's friends (they are giving up their slip in San Diego and heading south) then returned to the boat and went to sleep.

October 26, 2008 - Sunday


We got up at approximately 8 AM and did miscellaneous choirs to get the boat ready for the trip (including topping off the fuel tank) then went with Allison and Stan to the skipper's meeting at West Marine at 11 AM to get all the information for the trip and return to the boat. My son, Ryan, and his friend, Brittany, joined us at the marina before we went to the kick off party at West Marine. It was a keg/barbeque/Halloween Costume party and we had on our pirate costumes, but we did not win any prizes. It was very crowded, but they were serving good beer (Karl Straus) and burritos both beef, and chicken with salsa, guacamole, and all the other good stuff you would expect. Very good.

Ryan, Brittany, and I abandon the others and went to Avalon Tattoo in Pacific Beach. Although none of the artist I wanted to talk to was
there, we looked through various design books and found a new artist who appears to do very detailed, intricate work. When I get back to the states I will send him my artwork and get him to design my mermaid tattoo for me. We spent about one hour at the tattoo shop before walking to Pacific Beach where we walked along the beach before finding a bar. We sat and watched baseball and had a couple beers while we watched the sunset and surfers - who had obviously rented their boards from the adjacent shop; we saw more and more spectacular wipe outs as the surf went up. One guy caught the wave, was on the crest and then lost his balance and fell forward, only to then have the wave come crashing down on him. We called it a night and returned to the boat where Ryan and Brittany went home.


I'll keep you posted!
Comments
Hailing Port: San Diego

Port: San Diego