Random Tacks

Some thoughts as take our Taswell 43 to where it doesn't snow....

21 August 2009
05 August 2009 | Lexington, MA
11 July 2009 | Prudence Island, RI
29 June 2009 | Atlantic City, NJ
18 June 2009 | Great Bridge, Chesapeake VA
05 June 2009 | Charleston, SC
25 May 2009 | Cocoa Beach, FL
21 May 2009 | Lake Worth, FL
14 May 2009 | North Palm Beach, FL
09 May 2009 | Key West, FL
06 May 2009 | Conch Republic
25 April 2009 | Key West, FL
18 April 2009
17 April 2009 | Isla Mujeres, Mexico
17 April 2009 | Isla Mujeres, Mexico
14 April 2009 | Isla Mujeres, Mexico
12 April 2009 | Isla Mujeres, Mexico
11 April 2009 | Isla Mujeres, Mexico
08 April 2009 | Isla Mujeres, Mexico

Memorial Day on the Water

25 May 2009 | Cocoa Beach, FL
Carolyn
After taking Sunday as our day of rest (not really, I did laundry, Andrew changed the fuel and oil filters on the genset, we topped off the diesel tank and refilled the jerry jugs, and then we walked 1 1/4 miles to the grocery store) we were back underway today. Today certainly was a Memorial Day on the water. There was a lot more boat traffic than there was last Saturday. Gee, I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that Saturday was grey, gloomy and wet? In any case there were numerous fishing boats, jet skis, sailboats out there.

We momentarily thought we might be doing another of our famous rescues when we saw a person fall off a jetski and the driver didn't seem to be turning around. We shouted out to the swimmer and he indicated he was ok. When then looked behind us in time to see the driver fall off! (I'm wondering if maybe they are new to this sport). We slowed down and kept an eye out until we were sure the driver was back aboard then the swimmer was picked up.

During the afternoon we raised the jib to take advantage of the nifty 10-15 kt winds from the east (on our beam). We still kept the engine running, but we were able to motor sail and definitely picked up speed. It's a real treat (and pretty rare) when you can sail along the Intracoastal.

Tomorrow morning the plan is to head out the Cape Canaveral canal and lock and make an outside run to St. Mary's Inlet - the border of Florida and Georgia. I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to lock the cats downstairs BEFORE we enter the lock this time.

I don't think I wrote about this when we went through the lock last time... I know I wrote about our engine difficulties (the engine died just as we were entering the lock), but I think I missed an opportunity to share a cat story. When we were entering the lock from the ocean side our engine died just as we entered. Andrew simultaneously tried to fiddle with the engine while navigating us to the side of the lock. I had lines in hand in an effort to somehow secure us while silently freaking out. I added the helpful advice to him. "There's a boat in front of us - we don't want to crash into it." Yah think? Duh!

I had just about gotten a line secure when Andrew yelled out, "Look out for the cat!" Spinnaker was eye-ing the timbers on the side of the lock. I dropped the lines and grabbed the cat, throwing her down below. I went back forward to check the line just in time to see Jigger make the jump. YIKES! I was able to grab his back end and we spent the next moments wrestling to see who would win - Jigger with his claws in the wood siding, me with a death grip on his haunches. I finally won that battle and he was unceremoniously dumped below.

Months later when we were in the Bahamas we were chatting with another couple and they were mentioning the "funniest thing" they've ever seen - this boat in the Canaveral lock with a cat that tried to escape. Yup - that'd be us!!

You can see why this time I think I should lock them up BEFORE we enter the lock.

Once we get to St. Mary's we are hoping to get together with the skipper of the boat we rescued in the fog. Turns out he manages a wildlife refuge and has offered to give us a private tour. Looking at the website it should be fun.

After that the journey north will continue.

Ta for now!
C
Comments
Vessel Name: Pendragon
Vessel Make/Model: Taswell 43
Hailing Port: Salem, MA
Crew: Andrew & Carolyn
About: Spinnaker & Jigger (reluctantly)

Who: Andrew & Carolyn
Port: Salem, MA