Perfect Wave / L'Ola Perfecta

In search of the Perfect Wave

01 December 2011 | Puerto Jimenez
01 December 2011 | Panama
04 November 2011 | CR-USA-CR
04 November 2011 | Costa Rica
04 November 2011 | Guanacaste
01 July 2011 | Panama City and North
15 June 2011 | Northern Costa Rica
13 June 2011 | Hueves to Marina Papagayo
13 June 2011 | Santa Elena Ollies
04 June 2011 | Nicaragua
08 May 2011 | Puesta Del Sol, Nicaragua
26 April 2011 | Bahia Del Sol
26 April 2011 | Huatulco
20 March 2011 | Acapulco
20 March 2011 | Ixtapa and Zihuatenejo
27 February 2011 | Manzanillo
19 February 2011 | Tenacatita and La Manzanilla
09 February 2011 | Bahia Chamela
25 January 2011 | Punta de Mita
23 January 2011 | La Cruz, Mexico

Panama By Land

01 July 2011 | Panama City and North
Eric
Panama by Land

We jumped a quick flight to Panama from Costa Rica one hour on Copa airlines to Panama City.
Wow what a city reminded all for us of Miami.
We stayed in the city for a few days the girls got their mall fix then we ventured out to explore the country north of the city.
First stop was the Panama Canal and timing was perfect to watch as ships and a few cruisers came through the Miraflores Locks.
A couple hours at the Canal museum a must see for everyone. The kids, Dawn and I all learned a ton about the Canal.

Next stop was the Pacific coast Playa Bonita. Dawn had the lonely planet guidebook out and I drove. We stayed at a new master plan resort that included the Bristol hotel. Beautiful place still under construction of the golf course and the roads.
Quick fact on Panama, tides here run 12-18 feet everyday. So the beaches are either lots of sand or none depending on the tide you hit. In the city when the tide goes out there is a great smell that goes along with the draining of the mangroves and estuary.

We continued west to Pedasi and Ville Camille. A French man built the lodge 15 years ago just west of the small town of Pedasi. 15 minutes north is Venao Beach, which is the home of the 2011 World Surf Games.
We hung around town for a few days checked out the beaches and Dad started to look seriously at land. The terrain around Pedasi is rolling grass hills that all view or abut the Pacific. Pedasi is 4 hours from the big city but has become a tourist destination and surf is awesome on the 6-7 uncrowned breaks.
More on this place latter.

We were back in the car and headed NW for David the third largest city. The whole country is beautiful mostly undeveloped agriculture land.
The biggest difference between Panama and Cost Rica is the quality of the roads. We travelled down the paved highway at 120km.
David was not much to look at or to do but a good stop over on our way to Bocas Del Toro.

We venture over the mountains 4 hours to the Caribbean. The mountains were fabulous with breath taking views and lots for flora and fauna. At the top of the mountain pass was a reservoir and hydroelectric plant. We stopped at the small information station the guard unlocked the building and the banos. Perfect stop halfway clean restrooms and we learned about hydroelectric power generation.

Bocas Del Toro is touted as one of the most beautiful spots in Panama. The sea is emerald green the islands and mangroves 5 other shades of green and the sky is as blue as it gets.
Then there is the town, were the people forgot to pick up their trash and live in an environmental disaster area. The small town of Almirante is the location of the port and the water taxi to Bocas. This was the worst than anything we saw in our travels through the poor areas of Mexico, El Salvador, or Nicaragua. Which was tough because the rest of the country is very clean. The Caribbean side is know for this we soon learned.
The Eco/ Agua Lodge "Punta Caracol" was cool. Tommy said it like living on the boat but we don't move. A pier connected each cabin; and we sat on pilings over 5 feet of sea. Each cabin had its own deck and ladder so we snorkeled out the back door. We toured the town of Bocas one day or for two hours, it is small, two hours meant we walked it twice.
Two night and three days then back to the car and the road trip south.
We spent the rest of our time back in Panama City and Dad made one trip back to Pedasi to look at land with and broker.

We got back to the boat, it is nice to be home and we are surfing and playing in the Costa Rican sun.
Vessel Name: perfectwave ( L'Ola Perfecta)
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 57
Hailing Port: Seattle Wa. USA
Crew: Eric, Dawn, Whitney, Tommy
About: Whitney 12 Tommy 9

Who: Eric, Dawn, Whitney, Tommy
Port: Seattle Wa. USA