Perpetual Ocean

18 January 2012 | San Jose Del Cabo
28 September 2011

So relaxed in So Cal!

28 September 2011
Shelly
So at long last we have an update for you in blog form! This wasn't nearly as daunting a task as I had conjured in my mind. But nonetheless we have been severely taking it easy since we arrived sometime last week. Neither of us knows exactly what day that was which has to be a good thing. Now let us get down to the details of the trip.
What we thought was going to be an 8 (or so) day affair actually turned out to be an over two week ordeal. First off let me say that the seemingly innocent Strait of Juan de Fuca was a miniature nightmare of it's own. Well, not really a nightmare but the crazy currents in pitch black fog had me hollering for Drew to wake up as I fell into some strange vertigo and could not figure out how to steer us out of the spin. Just hours before, while looking for an anchorage we came to the aid of a sail boat (Pura Vida?) hailing us on the VHF after running aground, hard. Drew hopped into our dingy and after 20 minutes managed to pull them off with their main sail halyard but not before nearly getting pulled under in the process.
We arrived the next morning at Neah Bay, delightful place: yummy smoked salmon, good cheap fuel, delicious water for the tank and free internet at their tech center to check the weather one last time. All good, so we pulled out the following A.M. and with nerves tingling rounded a magnificent Cape Flattery. A sunny day found us cruising along at 7 knots under genoa only. Happy with that, we set our course and got to hand steering.
For two days, 20 miles off shore, we raced along pleased with the wind speed, our speed and the overall performance of Born Free. Short lived! By the eve of day three the seas and wind built and the fog rolled in making hand steering a real chore. Not to mention the incessant banging and things flying about the boat scolding us for our haste and improper stowage. We grew real tired real fast. The decision was made to make a rest stop at Port Orford, Oregon. Heading for the entrance in the dark with the wind continually increasing we noticed a "new" sound. Upon inspection, Drew discovered the reefed genoa in shreds. With the engine pushing hard we barely had steerage fighting the wind rounding the point but managed to drop anchor just after sunrise escaping the worst of the weather. Of all the sketchy entrances, this (non-bar) port was a great place to duck out and get some rest.
Despite the stress of the fog without radar, and the seemingly endless hand steering the rest of trip was alright. We made a rest stop in Drake's Bay followed by Half Moon Bay and then the Channel Islands. I can't say enough about this stop over in the islands. Since we were now clear of the big bad Point of Conception (flat calm, nearly hit a whale) the air and water temp was markedly warmer. And what happened to all that bloody fog? We were able to share the beach with Cali sea lions and elephant seals, hike to the top of San Miguel barefoot (highly recommend shoes), bask in some warm sun while tensions built up from the PNW coast melted away.
Since then we have managed to settle into our new and cost effective (free) anchorage of a home with the help of many friendly yachties as well as the delightful San Diegoans.
A big shout out to our Everett peeps for all the help, support and company while in WA. (Chad, that sewing machine saved our butts in Port Orford. Our back up genoa was a #6 luff to our #5 extrusions).
Much more to come......
Comments
Vessel Name: Born Free
Vessel Make/Model: William Garden 47' Cutter, Pilot House
Hailing Port: Brisbane, AUS
Crew: Andrew Morant & Shelly Tennyson
About: We are relatively chilled out couple of souls roaming the worlds oceans leisurely and professionally, upholding "not all who wander are lost."

Who: Andrew Morant & Shelly Tennyson
Port: Brisbane, AUS