Piper Adventures

N. Palm Beach, Ft. Pierce, Cocoa Beach, New Smyrna Beach

07 April 2015
Photo is of a large dredge boat on the Indian River.

3-26-2015: Dinghy in to Publix and catch a cab to Customs and Immigration for Donna to check in. The driver waited for us and a good thing as he had the wrong building and took us to the correct one. Donna will not be deported after all!! Dropped off at West Marine, lunch at Duffy's Sports Bar/Grill, CVS, Publix and a loaded dinghy on the way back. Thunderstorms all afternoon...glad we beat the weather.

3-27-2015: Headed North for the 54 nm ride to Ft. Pierce. Caught the first six bridges on schedule with no waits. Piper was leading a fleet of three and I kept the pedal to the metal to get them open and the other two leisurely came in. The big yellow boat could not make the last bridge and had to wait.

The forecast was for thunderstorms all day and you could see them all around. I was running low on fuel and needed to add five gallons, but it was kind of rough for doing that. With the wind on the beam around 15, decided to sail as the channel was straight for the last 20 miles to Ft. Pierce. Just had to keep it right in the middle of the channel as it is only 200 yds wide and then 3' of water on both sides. Could see close by sand bars with old trees on them. Great sail for about twenty minutes when a big gust came from out of no where, although you could see the storms all around. With the winch handle in and four wraps on the winch, it was very easy to get an override! It blew so hard that the override came out by the force of the wind and I forgot to tie stoppers in the sheets. Both jib sheets are now out in the water...on the deck to bring both back in...then start the motor while staying in the channel. A slight turn up, to get the main down/in. Donna got a pretty bruised right hand in all of this. Just when you think the adventures are winding down...another one pops up! Now the wind is probably (wind instrument not working) blowing a steady 30 and still have the fuel problem. Transferred five gallons successfully. The plan had been to go into Faber Cove on the East side at Fr. Pierce, but Skipper Bob Publications says it will only hold 6-8 boats. Plan B is to go to the City dock if full, but it is 5:30 and they are probably heading home. After the storm you could hear boast reserving slips there. Not a easy place to get into with 30 knots. There was only one other boat in Faber and very protected....I knew that I must be getting closer to my beloved Chesapeake Bay as protection is starting to return. Nice evening on the hook.

3-28-2015: Had an email from my good friend Paul from Canada who is in the area working on 'Tumbleweed' on the hard before leaving in a couple of days. Gave him a call and he loved taking a day off and showing us around. Dinghy in too kind of a private marina in a Condo complex...neat place, protected and reasonably price...hmnm. No problem, come on in and tie up in slip 27. Paul showed us all around and Donna conned him into taking us to look at the house that Steve from Green Turtle has for sale...gated community and got on another cars bumper! Renters were very cooperative with no notice in letting us look around. Lunch overlooking the Ft. Pierce Inlet with its tremendous current. A J 30 came in under main doing 10 knots and a huge cruiser was going on with a main doing 1 knot and black smoke coming out of the exhaust. Saw the salvage operation that is trying to remove a sunken barge out of the channel and had the channel closed for a couple of weeks before. Paul told us that he heard on the news the night before that the storm had 50+ mph winds, but when it hit the Gulf Stream, 122+ mph were reported....not a good place to be at that time. Just shows how vicious the Gulf Stream can be!!

3-29-2015: Left Faber Cove early on the high tide and took a slip at the City Marina on the West side of the Indian River. Nice town and just completed a 18 million dollar renovation at the marina. We almost stayed another day, but needed to get moving.

3-30-2015: Left at 9 for the 73 nm trek to Cocoa Beach arriving at sundown. Anchored just below the bridge in calm waters for the night.

3-31-2015: Left at 8 for the 55 nm ride to New Smyrna Beach and taking a slip at the City Marina. Floating Docks...how nice...after adjusting lines on every tide when in the Bahamas. Will be here for awhile with son Todd's family and grand daughters. Love this place!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: "No Sched..."
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42 MkII
Hailing Port: Solomons Island, MD
Crew: Jerry and Donna Taylor
About:
We celebrated our 42th wedding anniversary on Sept. 14, 2016. We have had power boats, sailboats - Venture 22, Catalina 25, a Soverel 30 that we raced for 27 years and cruised some in. We raced mainly around the Patuxent River, mid-Chesapeake Bay. [...]
"No Sched..."'s Photos - Main
Photos taken since purchase of "No Sched..." in May 2016.
16 Photos
Created 16 January 2017
115 Photos
Created 8 March 2015
120 Photos
Created 2 February 2015
120 Photos
Created 14 January 2015
Travels of Piper going down the Intracoastal Waterway
120 Photos
Created 30 October 2014