Piper Adventures

Charleston, SC - Minim Creek, SC - Georgetown, SC - Calabash River, SC

03 May 2015
Photo is of Piper on a blustery day on the Mackay River, GA. Courtesy of Carole and Richard Hackett on Kilissa.

5-1-2015: Beautiful, 75 degrees, NW 15-25 for 61 miles to Mimin Creek, SC. Hard to sleep in Charleston with all the traffic from the surrounding bridges. Left at 7:30 to catch the first bridge opening at 9. Piper led since it was low tide to sound out the water as Kilissa draws a foot more. Had a couple of real low spots, but Kilissa got through. Passed a huge barge in the narrow channel who was barely moving and swinging all around. I could hear the tow line creaking as it sounded like it would snap anytime and severely frayed, but all got by. Anchored in West Minim Creek, SC with the wind howling but fairly protected and the wind calmed down at sun down.

5-2-2015: Beautiful, 75 degrees, NW 10-15. Left at 8 for the short 14 mile run to Georgetown, SC since we could not make it the day before. Fueled up, filled water tanks, pump out, trash, ice and anchored across from the city dock. Off for a mile walk to the Pig (Piggly Wiggly) with Richard. Happy hour at the Big Tuna and the Ky. Derby party/dinner. Nice town with lots to do, but little time.

5-3-2015: Beautiful, 75 degrees, NW 10 -15, mm 342, sea temp 68, 63 nms with favorable current most of the day. Ten hours of motoring with everyone who owns a boat out on the ICW today. Pushing hard to make it to Portsmouth, Va by May 11th at 12:01 am as they will be closing the Elizabeth River to all traffic for 48 hours. They are installing a new tunnel across the river. Construction is never on time and we do not want to stuck there for ...whenever! Not many places to stop/anchor prior for a couple of days. Need to average 50 nms a day for the next seven to get across to Hampton by then....just playing it by ear and the weather. Nice dinner on Killissa this evening with lots of boats here having to relocate the anchor.
Comments
Vessel Name: "No Sched..."
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42 MkII
Hailing Port: Solomons Island, MD
Crew: Jerry and Donna Taylor
About:
We celebrated our 42th wedding anniversary on Sept. 14, 2016. We have had power boats, sailboats - Venture 22, Catalina 25, a Soverel 30 that we raced for 27 years and cruised some in. We raced mainly around the Patuxent River, mid-Chesapeake Bay. [...]
"No Sched..."'s Photos - Main
Photos taken since purchase of "No Sched..." in May 2016.
16 Photos
Created 16 January 2017
115 Photos
Created 8 March 2015
120 Photos
Created 2 February 2015
120 Photos
Created 14 January 2015
Travels of Piper going down the Intracoastal Waterway
120 Photos
Created 30 October 2014