S/V Pizzazz - Journey Downunder

South Africa to Australia

07 December 2016 | Gold Coast
29 October 2013 | Hope Island, Gold Coast Australia
12 December 2012 | Southport, Gold Coast
12 December 2012 | Southport, Gold Coast
05 November 2012 | Gold Coast, Australia
05 November 2012 | Gold Coast
02 September 2012 | Hope Island, Gold Coast
02 September 2012 | Hope Island, Gold Coast
02 September 2012 | Hope Island, Gold Coast
02 September 2012 | Hope Island, Gold Coast
02 September 2012 | Hope Island, Gold Coast
05 July 2011 | Hope Island
05 August 2010 | Southport, Australia
05 August 2010 | Southport, Australia
05 August 2010 | Southport, Australia
05 August 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 July 2010 | New Caledonia
03 June 2010 | Bora Bora
09 April 2010 | Panama
05 April 2010 | Panama

Anchored off Pigeon Island

20 March 2010 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
Hugh
So once our liferaft eventually arrived, we moved out of the marina and anchored off Pigeon Island. We were sorry we had not come out and anchored earlier, but the Marina had a special going where we had to pay for one day and get one free.....
Pigeon Island is a former island in Saint Lucia. The entirety of the "island" comprises Pigeon Island National Park and is administered by the St. Lucia National Trust. Composed of two peaks, Pigeon Island was artificially joined to the mainland in the 1970s.
The Arawak people, the original inhabitants of Pigeon island, were driven out by the Caribs around 1000 A.D. The Caribs lived in caves along the shore of the island, and hunted for fish, shellfish, small animals and birds. They also foraged for plant food. In the 1600s, a French pirate, François le Clerc, used Pigeon Island as his base. He forged an agreement with the Caribs, so that they would not attack his ship.

In 1778, Admiral George Rodney, took over Pigeon island, expelled the natives and built a fort on the smaller of the two peaks. This fort is known as Fort Rodney. Rodney ordered all trees on Pigeon Island to be cut down, to increase the range of sight. From the higher peak, Signal Hill, Rodney was able to observe the French navy base on Martinique.

Over the next several years, the British built several other structures on Pigeon Island, including two barracks, mess hall, and a lime vat.
In 1782, Admiral Rodney sailed from Pigeon Island to confront the French fleet, which he defeated in the Battle of Saints.
In 1824, a barracks which had been destroyed by a hurricane in 1817 was rebuilt.
Comments
Vessel Name: Pizzazz
Vessel Make/Model: Montevideo 43'
Hailing Port: Richards Bay, South Africa
Crew: Hugh &Glyn
Extra: This journey will begin January 2008 and will take us from Richards Bay, South Africa to Brisbane, Australia. We are planning a 2-3 year cruise via Cape Town, St Helena, Brazil, Caribbean, Panama, South Pacific and finally Australia.