To sail, explore, learn and enjoy.

05 October 2013 | Mallorca now enroute to Valencia
11 August 2013 | South West Sardinian Coast
23 July 2013 | Calasetta
13 July 2013 | Cagliari
01 July 2013 | Sardinia to Corsica and back to the Maddalenas
13 June 2013 | Golfo di Cugnana, Maddalenas
07 June 2013 | Porte Conte, Northern Sardinia, Italy
25 November 2012 | Cagliari, Sardinia
11 October 2012 | from Greece to Mallorca
20 September 2012 | Gulf of Messinia
17 September 2012 | Kalamata around to Pilos and back
17 September 2012 | bottom of the Peloponese
27 August 2012 | Leonidhion, Kiparissi, Ieraka and Momevasia, Peloponese
20 August 2012 | Kea, Epidaurus, Poros, Ydra, Dhokos and Navplion
08 August 2012 | Karistos
26 July 2012 | Limni
07 July 2012 | Halkidiki to the Sporades
30 June 2012 | From Lesbos to Limnos to Halkidiki
14 June 2012 | mitilini
07 June 2012 | samos to ikaria to chios to lesbos

Whats the worst that can happen!!!

03 June 2011 | Vulcano Island – Aeolians
Wednesday 1st May - Friday 3rd May (Happy Birthday tomorrow Ems!)

The Aeolians are dramatic jutting out of the sea 35 miles of the Sicilian coast. They get their name from the Greek god of the Wind, Aeolus and the story goes that he gave Odysseus a bag of winds but his curious crew opened the bag up and all the winds came out keeping him from returning to Ithaca. Hence the slightly dodgy winds around them sometimes. But we were lucky with a flat calm sea.
There are two volcanoes still active, one on Stromboli and one on Vulcano (supposedly the workplace of the god of fire). We had a lovely bubbling mud bath (once you get passed the sulphur smell which seemed to linger on us for days!); a bumpy anchorage one night (so we swapped bays) then decided to walk up the volcano. Its a lunar landscape, one minute scoria - grey dust the next red sand and lots of sulphurated hydrogen steaming out in places. Fantastic... Never been up a Volcano before...

So
We get to the rim of the crater after about an hours hard uphill walk. Then noticed that the good ship Pleiades was floating out to sea (with Wilson and Friday onboard) .. You can imagine the feeling in our stomachs... Martyn literally ran down the mountain and saved the day. Luckily she wasn't floating fast, but it was a horrendous feeling. We had already moved anchor once... Fellow travellers beware... (you can see her going sideways on the right in the pic!!)
But the quadrupeds were oblivious and several drinks were consumed in relief by the crew!!

Vulcano is a cool and cute place tho, despite the smell. Its incredibly lush and full of flowers. Real holiday feel to it. Although the beaches are black sand which always seems strange as people seem to stand out more (especially larger citizens). Its easy to imagine the ancients sailing around here and believing in gods of fire etc. Martyn did manage to get up to the rim in the end too.. No wonder he is getting so skinny.

tomorrow off to the Straits and Scilla and Charybdis!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Pleiades
Vessel Make/Model: Bowman Talisman 50
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Martyn & Linda Jenkins
About: Friday and Wilson putytats And other reprobates along the way. Sign up here

Who: Martyn & Linda Jenkins
Port: Southampton