Por Dos

Family cruising in a Catamaran

16 December 2017 | Brisbane
04 November 2015 | Brisbane, Australia
30 October 2015 | Isle de Pines, Noumea, New Caledonia
08 October 2015 | Tanna, Vanuatu
01 October 2015 | Viti Levu, Mololo, Fiji
21 September 2015 | Namena, Musket Cove Malolo, Vuda Point Viti Levu, Fiji
12 September 2015 | Vanua Levu and Taveuni, Fiji
02 September 2015 | Tonga
13 August 2015 | Suwarrow, Cook Islands
25 July 2015 | Tahaa, Bora Bora and Maupiti French Polynesia
17 June 2015 | Tahiti & Moorea, French Polynesia
16 June 2015 | Fakarava, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
06 June 2015 | Tahanea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
01 June 2015 | Raiatea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
28 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
12 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
26 April 2015 | Academy Bay, Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz, Islas Galapagos, Ecuador
13 April 2015 | Panama to Galapagos
07 April 2015 | Balboa, Panama
31 March 2015 | Colon, Panama

Block Island for Marta’s Birthday: Champagne, Cake, and Cards!

16 September 2012 | Great Salt Pond, Block Island, RI
Marg
This entry is a bit late, but we had such a great weekend I must write about it. Although we were a few days late (Marta's "significant" birthday was on Tuesday), Tim, Gail, Matt and Marg (that's me!) joined the sailors (that's the Morwood-Portoles family) on Friday evening in Pt. Judith.

We spent the night in Snug Harbor Marina (and started the weekend of celebration with lemon bundt birthday cake for dessert - do matches count as candles?). We woke to grey skies and drizzle - oh dear. Nevertheless after a fortifying breakfast of pancakes, we set sail for Block Island. Alec and I were the official breakfast pancake cookers - I can see his future now, flippin' burgers - oops, well, perhaps not. College education must lead to something better - right?

Anyway, the wind picked up, the sun came out, and we shot over to Block Island in record time. Sailing at about 10 knots (which apparently is fast - I know nothing of these things). All I know is that Marta's only complaint was the lack of time for making water! By the time we reached the island, the sun was out and it was a beautiful late summer's day. A precocious family of swans (two adults, two cygnets) visited us not long after we anchored in New Harbor. Obviously they were much used to being fed by visiting boaters, but they received no joy with us. Matt's sneaker proved inedible.

After we arrived, Marta decided it was time to try out her birthday present - an inflatable paddleboard. The wind and the choppy waves and current proved challenging, but Marta did a sterling job getting about. Then it was time to explore the island. We had a lovely walk to the town and back, surprised at the number of people about, given that the season was officially over (it's after Labor day, folks!). An ice cream readied us for the walk back with supplies for dinner: fish fresh from the harbor side shop.

Of course, the champagne was popped for dinner, and many rounds of bridge were played. Most hilarious hand was the one where the opposition bid 1 spade but the defense made the contract for them. It's a pity when opener has five spades but partner has not only no points but no spades, either!

Sunday saw the pancake makers at it again. After digesting that lot, it was off to the surfside beach for a "swim" - I use that term loosely, as it was more a struggle with the waves than a swim. They were dumpers! Being caught by a big one was like being in a washing machine full of sandy water - you were tumbled head over heels, and sand was deposited over all parts of your body: trapped everywhere inside bathers, in ears, in hair. It was beautiful water - almost emerald green, and very clean - but very rough! It was hard work battling the surf, but Matt, Mark, Tim and Roan made the most of it. An energetic Frisbee game followed (well, I used my energy to read on the beach, and Gail walked almost the entire beachfront, while the others played Frisbee).

After returning to the boat, there was only time for a quick shower and a bite to eat, before we had to collect our things and head over to the ferry back to Pt. Judith. Parting was such sweet sorrow, as they say, especially as we all knew it would be a few months before we saw each other again. Fortunately Mark and Marta and the boys headed up to Spring House and sat on the terrace for a farewell drink while watching our ferry disappear over the horizon. A fitting farewell, I think! Bon Voyage! And we look forward to the next time!

Marg
Comments
Vessel Name: S/V Por Dos
Vessel Make/Model: Catana 48
Hailing Port: Salem, MA
Crew: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
S/V Por Dos's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 11 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 3 July 2012

Us

Who: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
Port: Salem, MA
Site Meter