Por Dos

Family cruising in a Catamaran

16 December 2017 | Brisbane
04 November 2015 | Brisbane, Australia
30 October 2015 | Isle de Pines, Noumea, New Caledonia
08 October 2015 | Tanna, Vanuatu
01 October 2015 | Viti Levu, Mololo, Fiji
21 September 2015 | Namena, Musket Cove Malolo, Vuda Point Viti Levu, Fiji
12 September 2015 | Vanua Levu and Taveuni, Fiji
02 September 2015 | Tonga
13 August 2015 | Suwarrow, Cook Islands
25 July 2015 | Tahaa, Bora Bora and Maupiti French Polynesia
17 June 2015 | Tahiti & Moorea, French Polynesia
16 June 2015 | Fakarava, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
06 June 2015 | Tahanea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
01 June 2015 | Raiatea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
28 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
12 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
26 April 2015 | Academy Bay, Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz, Islas Galapagos, Ecuador
13 April 2015 | Panama to Galapagos
07 April 2015 | Balboa, Panama
31 March 2015 | Colon, Panama

Fort McHenry

26 September 2012 | Baltimore, MD
Roan Morwood-Portoles
The next day I got to do less schoolwork than normal again because we where going to Fort McHenry and we had to leave at around 1:00 P.M. for Annapolis. So we got to Fort McHenry at about 11:00 using the water taxi. If you go to Baltimore I recommend that you go see Fort McHenry. Not only it is a historic site where the Star-Spangled Banner was written, it also has a very good museum. First we got our tickets and went to the museum. They had a really cool timeline about the flag of the United States. It also talked a lot about the war of 1812 and the battle of Fort McHenry where the British tried to destroy Baltimore like they had destroyed Washington and burned the White House. They even have a cool Presentation\Video about what happened that day. Then when you have finished with the Museum you should always go up to the fort. Luckily we had time but we had to rush the end of the fort a bit.

So we went up to the fort part and looked at all the earthworks and protections. We walked on the outside to see all the different guns and cannons they used and the powder storage for the cannons. We even got to look at the huge 440-pound cannonballs that were there for the civil war but were never used. We also got to look at the bomb shelter that was built after the war of 1812, and has fortunately never seen action. After admiring all the defenses that unfortunately didn’t help the defenders because the British used bomb ships to send mortars flying over the earthen works. We went to the center of the fort where they had the entire permanent fort “Caretakers” lived, like there was a colonel or important person in charge of the people that managed the fort constantly not just in times of battle. After we had seen the fort we ran back down just in time to catch the water taxi leaving from the dock.

We headed back to the boat and arrived at around 1:00 like we planned and prepared to set sail for Annapolis. Baltimore is a fun place to visit for a few days and has many attractions like the Aquarium, The Maritime Museum of Baltimore, and its always worth to visit Fort McHenry.
Comments
Vessel Name: S/V Por Dos
Vessel Make/Model: Catana 48
Hailing Port: Salem, MA
Crew: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
S/V Por Dos's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 11 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 3 July 2012

Us

Who: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
Port: Salem, MA
Site Meter