Por Dos

Family cruising in a Catamaran

16 December 2017 | Brisbane
04 November 2015 | Brisbane, Australia
30 October 2015 | Isle de Pines, Noumea, New Caledonia
08 October 2015 | Tanna, Vanuatu
01 October 2015 | Viti Levu, Mololo, Fiji
21 September 2015 | Namena, Musket Cove Malolo, Vuda Point Viti Levu, Fiji
12 September 2015 | Vanua Levu and Taveuni, Fiji
02 September 2015 | Tonga
13 August 2015 | Suwarrow, Cook Islands
25 July 2015 | Tahaa, Bora Bora and Maupiti French Polynesia
17 June 2015 | Tahiti & Moorea, French Polynesia
16 June 2015 | Fakarava, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
06 June 2015 | Tahanea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
01 June 2015 | Raiatea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
28 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
12 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
26 April 2015 | Academy Bay, Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz, Islas Galapagos, Ecuador
13 April 2015 | Panama to Galapagos
07 April 2015 | Balboa, Panama
31 March 2015 | Colon, Panama

Dean's Blue Hole

08 March 2013 | Long Island, Bahamas
Roan Morwood-Portoles
Nearing the end of our car trip we stopped at Dean's Blue Hole. Blue holes are very impressive sights they suddenly drop off from 12-30 ft. (in this case around 5 ft. that dipped down to around 25 feet before dropping off) to some huge depth and underwater, with a mask it looks like someone took a huge drill with a diameter of around 100 feet and bored a 600-foot deep hole in a protected cove, and the blue hole that we where at was measured at 663 ft. deep.

We arrived at around 2:00 at the blue hole and grabbed our snorkeling gear to swim down into the blue hole. This blue hole dipped down 27 feet in a bowl shape made out of sand to the 600-foot deep shaft of limestone. As soon as you hop in the water you can see the debris. In the water there is a fair amount of stuff mainly leaves, pine needles, grass, and a few branches but their even are a few plastic bags and I even saw some paper drifting down at around 20 feet. But these are fairly easy to ignore and the Blue hole is an awesome sight. Sometimes when you swim around it almost feels as if you are being sucked in. But the blue hole is not for everybody, if you do not like open ocean or deep blue water that you cannot see the bottom of this is not for you. But if you like to dive or snorkel this is a great place to swim in, and we saw some free diving platforms anchored in the middle. There where around 8 people on these 2 platforms. Free diving is when people dive down as far as they can go with a mask, snorkel, and fins (they also have a challenge to go without fins).

But we didn't go to the free diving classes instead we swam around the hole looking at the deep blue shaft. At the far end of the Blue hole there was a rope ladder that led up to a ledge and then a tall 30-35 foot ledge that you could jump off of. But only my dad went up to jump down into the blue hole, My mom and Alec had the camera and took pictures and I dove down to swim as my dad climbed up the ladder.
Underwater around the blue hole there is a lot of coral and fish swim all around in circles. The ledge where the blue hole begins is surrounded by a large amount of coral and this part is 25 feet deep (we measured with my dads dive watch) and around the ledge that I dived down too was 30 ft. deep and then after a few trips I actually went beyond the ledge to 30 feet down. Meanwhile my mom and Alec went with the camera to take pictures as my dad jumped. After diving from the smaller 15-foot ledge he went up to the higher cliff and jumped down. The way you jump down of a high ledge like that is to keep yourself in a pencil dive totally straight with your toes pointing down and arms by your side with your face in line with the rest of your body. We had a friend that jumped off a 70-foot bridge and he tilted his head slightly just to see how far down the jump he was just as he hit the water, that whole side of his face inflated like someone pumped air into his head. When my dad jumped off of the ledge he had his toes pointed and he was straight except for his arms, which where out by his side. So when he hit the water with his arms out like that he hit the water with a smack and a large splash came up. After he came up I said to him "You forgot to tuck in your arms." And he said, "I know, I can feel it." and the whole underside of his arms where a bright red like he'd been lying in the sun all day.

After that we got out of the blue hole and joined my mom and Alec on the beach, and on the beach we met a professional free diver meanwhile his wife taught someone else on one of the platforms, and he and his wife (the world record holder for no fins diving, 220 feet!) where training him for a contest. Anyways we talked to him and got his business card so we might go for a day course on free diving. For me Dean's Blue hole was the highlight of the car trip and I had a blast at the Blue Hole. So if you ever get to go to Clarence Town in long island I recommend a trip to Deans Blue Hole.

Roan.
Comments
Vessel Name: S/V Por Dos
Vessel Make/Model: Catana 48
Hailing Port: Salem, MA
Crew: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
S/V Por Dos's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 11 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 3 July 2012

Us

Who: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
Port: Salem, MA
Site Meter