Por Dos

Family cruising in a Catamaran

16 December 2017 | Brisbane
04 November 2015 | Brisbane, Australia
30 October 2015 | Isle de Pines, Noumea, New Caledonia
08 October 2015 | Tanna, Vanuatu
01 October 2015 | Viti Levu, Mololo, Fiji
21 September 2015 | Namena, Musket Cove Malolo, Vuda Point Viti Levu, Fiji
12 September 2015 | Vanua Levu and Taveuni, Fiji
02 September 2015 | Tonga
13 August 2015 | Suwarrow, Cook Islands
25 July 2015 | Tahaa, Bora Bora and Maupiti French Polynesia
17 June 2015 | Tahiti & Moorea, French Polynesia
16 June 2015 | Fakarava, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
06 June 2015 | Tahanea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
01 June 2015 | Raiatea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
28 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
12 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
26 April 2015 | Academy Bay, Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz, Islas Galapagos, Ecuador
13 April 2015 | Panama to Galapagos
07 April 2015 | Balboa, Panama
31 March 2015 | Colon, Panama

Istanbul, Cappadocia and Rome in 10 days

13 May 2014 | Crotone, Calabria, Italy
Marta Portoles
We landed in Istanbul on Saturday around 6 pm or so. The 1 hour drive from the Sabiha Gokcen airport to the hotel in downtown Istanbul took almost 3 hours, longer than the flight from Rome to Istanbul. The traffic was horrendous; I swear to myself that whenever we land after our cruising adventure we won’t live in a place where it takes always double time to get to places (I could also hear Mark’s voice in my head: “Good luck with that”).

Mark and I loved Istanbul last time that we were there 18 years ago, and it was the same this time. Our best move, both here and in Rome, was to organize a guide. In Istanbul, we had a guide for the full two days that we were there. From 9 am to about 4 or 4:30 pm, our guide took us to visit main architectural sights (Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Ayia Sophia, etc.), quaint and modern neighborhoods and his favourite eating joints. The queues for some of the top sights were hours long but our guide would ask us to wait at the door and he would disappear and came back in seconds with our tickets. Having a guide was worth every penny.

After two days in Istanbul, we flew to Cappadocia. We had heard of this area in the middle of Turkey from several fellow cruisers as a place not to miss. They were absolutely right. The area is famous for their underground cities some of them dated from Hittite times (~3000 or 4000 BCE) and had been in use until modern times. Early Christians constructed many churches in caves or dug them in the soft rock formations. People still live in cave houses. In fact, we stayed at the cave house of Viv and Will (http://www.vivshousecappadoccia.com/), a New Zealand couple that spend half of their time in the Urgup, in the smack middle of Cappadoccia. With their help we toured the area, went up a hot air balloon (to me, this was one of the highlights of the trip), climbed up and down an underground city, hiked through the valleys with the famous phallic rock formations; we even got ourselves some small Turkey carpets for the boat. Four days just flew by, I told myself I would be back; I could have stayed happily the whole summer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocia). But it was time to fly to Rome.

In Rome, we stayed behind Termini Station, just ten minutes from the Colosseum. We spent Sunday walking around from the Coliseum to the Pantheon to the Trevi Fountain to the Spanish Stairs and back. On Monday, after our great experience in Istanbul, we hired a guide to visit the Coliseum and Roman highlights and we also joined a tour in the afternoon to visit the Vatican Museums including the Sistine Chapel. Again, this really helped to avoid the long queues, a big plus not only on time but also on the mood in which you visit the place.

Ten days after we left Crotone, we were back on Por Dos. She was looking good with her first coat of bottom paint and almost ready to go back in the water.
Comments
Vessel Name: S/V Por Dos
Vessel Make/Model: Catana 48
Hailing Port: Salem, MA
Crew: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
S/V Por Dos's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 11 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 3 July 2012

Us

Who: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
Port: Salem, MA
Site Meter