Por Dos

Family cruising in a Catamaran

16 December 2017 | Brisbane
04 November 2015 | Brisbane, Australia
30 October 2015 | Isle de Pines, Noumea, New Caledonia
08 October 2015 | Tanna, Vanuatu
01 October 2015 | Viti Levu, Mololo, Fiji
21 September 2015 | Namena, Musket Cove Malolo, Vuda Point Viti Levu, Fiji
12 September 2015 | Vanua Levu and Taveuni, Fiji
02 September 2015 | Tonga
13 August 2015 | Suwarrow, Cook Islands
25 July 2015 | Tahaa, Bora Bora and Maupiti French Polynesia
17 June 2015 | Tahiti & Moorea, French Polynesia
16 June 2015 | Fakarava, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
06 June 2015 | Tahanea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
01 June 2015 | Raiatea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
28 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
12 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
26 April 2015 | Academy Bay, Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz, Islas Galapagos, Ecuador
13 April 2015 | Panama to Galapagos
07 April 2015 | Balboa, Panama
31 March 2015 | Colon, Panama

Driving inland to Plitvice Lakes National Park

30 June 2014 | Sukosan, Croatia
Marta Portoles
Another easy spinnaker run in flat waters took us to Sukosan, a harbor on the mainland just 6 miles south of the historic town of Zadar. Sukosan harbor hosts the biggest marina in Croatia and also a couple of mooring fields. We picked up a mooring and packed to leave the boat early the next morning. We rented a car at the nearby airport of Zadar and drove inland to the famous Nacionalni Park Plitvička Jezera (Plitvice Lakes National Park), where we were meeting Sarah, Dak, Andrew and Will who had just flown in from Boston to visit.

Plitvice Park is in a densely forested area, but quite empty and poor. Smack in the middle of the park there are 16 or so lakes linked with cascades and waterfalls of all sizes and strengths. Whoever manages the park has done a fantastic job at setting up a number of crisscrossing trails all with wooden paths and footbridges that go around the lakes and near the cascades and waterfalls. Sometimes the wooden paths go over a smaller cascade. It is truly spectacular. A must-see while in Croatia! We had never seen cascades and waterfalls with so much vegetation in and around them. The lakes had that sky-blue colour and so clear water that we were all dying for a swim, but swimming is not allowed so we had to resign ourselves to having long baths and showers at the hotel.

The eight of us drove back to Sukosan. We spent the next day visiting Zadar's historic center (some Roman ruins and medieval churches with foundations made using the remains of the Roman ruins). We enjoyed the cacophonic concert of the Sea Organ, a series of big steps leading up to sea, with holes and pipes in the rise of the steps; with every wave the air gets pushed through the holes and pipes and makes “music”. The Sea Organ and space around it had won a European prize for best public space few years ago.

Sarah and Dak left on July 1 to continue their two-week Croatian and Austrian vacation before returning to Boston. We took advantage of having rented a car to refill our propane and CO2 tanks. In the afternoon we sailed to a nearby bay, and the start of Camp Por Dos with Will, Roan, Andrew and Alec as participants.
Comments
Vessel Name: S/V Por Dos
Vessel Make/Model: Catana 48
Hailing Port: Salem, MA
Crew: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
S/V Por Dos's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 11 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 3 July 2012

Us

Who: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
Port: Salem, MA
Site Meter