Por Dos

Family cruising in a Catamaran

16 December 2017 | Brisbane
04 November 2015 | Brisbane, Australia
30 October 2015 | Isle de Pines, Noumea, New Caledonia
08 October 2015 | Tanna, Vanuatu
01 October 2015 | Viti Levu, Mololo, Fiji
21 September 2015 | Namena, Musket Cove Malolo, Vuda Point Viti Levu, Fiji
12 September 2015 | Vanua Levu and Taveuni, Fiji
02 September 2015 | Tonga
13 August 2015 | Suwarrow, Cook Islands
25 July 2015 | Tahaa, Bora Bora and Maupiti French Polynesia
17 June 2015 | Tahiti & Moorea, French Polynesia
16 June 2015 | Fakarava, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
06 June 2015 | Tahanea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
01 June 2015 | Raiatea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
28 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
12 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
26 April 2015 | Academy Bay, Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz, Islas Galapagos, Ecuador
13 April 2015 | Panama to Galapagos
07 April 2015 | Balboa, Panama
31 March 2015 | Colon, Panama

Grenada

15 January 2015 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
Marta Portoles
We anchored in Prickly Bay and stayed there for nine days. Our friends Stewart and Dan had rented a cottage in the beach at the head of the bay. Every morning we dinghied ashore and met with them in their idyllic cottage complex which sported a beautiful beach and an air-conditioned meeting building with pool and ping-pong tables and a big TV with cable (necessary as the Super Bowl playoffs were on!).

Grenada is a beautiful island with lush green mountains, worth a visit of the interior and not just the coast. We wanted to explore everything, so we did a diving (Mark and Roan) and snorkeling (Alec, Stewart, Dan and Marta) trip to the spectacular reef in Flamingo Bay and the Sculpture Garden. In the latter one, a sculptor, Jason Decayers Taylor, had placed several stone sculptures underwater which are slowly becoming a reef on their own - quite different but not as spectacular as the explosion of yellow and orange and red coral and even more colorful fishes of Flamingo Bay.

The six of us did an organized one-day tour of the island. We did a mini hike to one of Grenada’s wonderful waterfalls. We also visited the Nutmeg Processing Factory, The Grenada Chocolate Company at Belmont State and the River Antoine Rum Factory. Each one was an experience on itself. Grenada is the second largest exporter of nutmeg in the world (after some Asian country/island which I do not quite recall). Hence its other name is “The Spice Island”. The whole process is still heavily manual and mostly done by women. At the factory shop, Alec got some nutmeg syrup, nutmeg jam and nutmeg jelly and has been nursing them and carefully allocating portions as to not run out too quickly. We had a buffet lunch at the Belmont State, home of the Grenada Chocolate Factory. We toured the areas of cocoa collection, fermentation and air-drying, but the chocolate processing areas were off-limits. After getting some samples from the factory shop, we drove to the Rum Factory. We had been in a Rum Factory in Martinique, and we were expecting something similar with oak barrels and shiny equipment. We were in for a big surprise: sugar cane was dragged up a conveyor belt and chomped by a grinder propelled by a water wheel. A man was precariously perched at the top of the conveyor belt to make sure that the cane would enter the right way through the chopper section. We were all anticipating an awful accident, Indiana Jones in the Temple of Doom style, but the man seemed unconcerned. The turbid whitish liquid coming out of the chopper section travelled by a half broken PVC tube to some concentration and fermentation cement vats before being distilled as many times as necessary until the appropriate strength was achieved. The final product was mixed in plastic barrels with distilled water before being stored under heavy locks in a floor cement vat. Only Stewart and Mark dared to try the final 150 proof alcoholic product. I got half drunk just by smelling the fumes coming from the little plastic thimble. Needless to say, we did not purchase at this factory shop.

After Stew and Dan left for Australia, we left for Chaguaramas in Trinidad. Por Dos was in for a full cosmetic re-fit. The poor old girl had been looking increasingly tired and she was closely approaching the derelict boat hue.
Comments
Vessel Name: S/V Por Dos
Vessel Make/Model: Catana 48
Hailing Port: Salem, MA
Crew: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
S/V Por Dos's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 11 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 3 July 2012

Us

Who: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
Port: Salem, MA
Site Meter