Princess 3

15 March 2011 | Atlanta
13 October 2010 | Duluth, Minnesota
27 August 2009 | Georgia
22 May 2009 | Florida
19 May 2009 | Lake Park Marina
10 May 2009 | Lake Park, Fl
06 May 2009 | Somewhere in the tropics
01 May 2009 | Green Turtle Cay
30 April 2009 | Green Turtle Cay
27 April 2009 | Abacos
24 April 2009 | MOW
21 April 2009 | Abaco, Bahamas
19 April 2009 | Mangoes
18 April 2009 | Abacos
16 April 2009 | Marsh Harbor
12 April 2009 | Hope Town
09 April 2009 | Hope Town
05 April 2009 | same
28 March 2009 | Elbow Cay
24 March 2009 | Abaco

Back in the USA

10 May 2009 | Lake Park, Fl
J&J
Here we are back in the USA and experiencing some culture shock. We've rented a slip in the Lake Park Marina for a month to get ourselves adjusted to the real world again and decide what we're going to do next. When we were here in the fall we stayed in the Riviera Beach Marina which was a real nasty place. But at the time we didn't know that this marina accepted transient boats. This is actually where we kept our boat 25 years ago when we lived in this area. The marina has been remodeled in the past few years with better facilities, more dockage and accepts transient boaters. It is city owned and operated with a full time dock master and a security guard who walks the premises at night. It is located in a safer part of town with a grocery store and eating establishments within easy walking distance. We are putting in lots of foot miles getting around the area. Which we really needed after traveling on the boat for a couple of days nonstop.
Since arriving we have also made use of the local transit system. That is definitely something new and different. Our first ride on the bus systems was to the Customs office. We called Customs when we were coming in the inlet and they gave us a clearance number and then told us we had 24 hours to check in to the office at the Port of Palm Beach Customs office. So after we got settled in our slip we walked a couple of blocks to a restaurant for breakfast and the waitress told us about the bus system. We thought about calling a taxi but the bus stop was right outside the restaurant parking lot. We even thought about walking but you have to go through a pretty shady area to get to the Port. So we jumped on the bus and asked the driver where we needed to get off but he really didn't want to help us. I guess he wasn't having a very good day. We are familiar with several of the main roads around here because of living here 25 years ago.
It took all of 5 minutes to clear through customs and be on our way. There were a couple of other boaters there also who had just crossed back into the US even though we didn't see any other boats all night long. We really thought that it was going to be much more difficult to clear than it was. I guess our little transponder sticker we have on the boat makes it much easier. They didn't ask us anything about what we had on the boat that we brought or bought in the Bahamas. Of course that transponder gives them our exact location at all times so they know exactly where we have been and when. That is big brother keeping an eye on us. But then they also know where our last position is if we have any problems.
Since Tuesday we have had a couple other longer trips on the bus system. There are some really interesting characters who ride the bus. I'm glad I don't have to do it all the time. We look a little out of place. John's sister and niece live in Lake Worth which is a good hour bus ride south. So we have gone down there twice so far and we're going to take another ride down there today. They usually drive us back here.
The weather is quite warm here. There is a nice breeze that blows off the ocean which helps and our boat is facing that direction in this slip. But it still gets really warm during the day with the sun beating straight down on us. We miss the cooler breezes we were having in the Bahamas and the nice clean water where we could cool off most anytime. The water is pretty nasty here in the marina. But we are glad to be back in the US especially for the prices. However the people aren't as friendly and helpful.
Mother's Day
A quiet morning in the marina, guess the fishermen are taking mom out for breakfast. We spent yesterday afternoon with friends, Bert & Elaine, who we've known over 30-years. They picked us up & after spending hours relaxing at their home, drove us back to the marina again. We really enjoyed the visit & it is good to see friends. Bert was the captain on the 92' sailboat Denny & I crewed to Spain aboard a couple of years ago. He has captained boats since graduating from college, but has now semi-retired. Elaine is a Psychologist although you would never guess. Our sons were best friends until we moved to Atlanta in 1985, now there son, Sander, is living in Australia where he is a surfer/student. Their daughter is living in New Zealand and works in the marine field.
Being able to see my sister, niece & grand niece has been a wonderful opportunity. My sister will be 84 in June and still works part time. We wanted to spend more time exploring islands, but caught a great weather window & scooted across the Gulf Stream. Our friends, Will & Betsy were going to fly to the Bahamas & sail north with us, but the cost of getting from Florida to Marsh Harbour was way too expensive for a couple of days in the islands. So it seems to be working out great this way & we can ride the stream north when we are ready to head back to N.Carolina.
Comments
Vessel Name: TRINITY
Vessel Make/Model: Allied Princess Ketch
Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Crew: John & Jerrie Doyle
About: We've been ocean sailing since the mid seventies and delivered boats up & down the east coast, the Caribbean & to the Med.

Who: John & Jerrie Doyle
Port: Charleston, SC