Princess 3

15 March 2011 | Atlanta
13 October 2010 | Duluth, Minnesota
27 August 2009 | Georgia
22 May 2009 | Florida
19 May 2009 | Lake Park Marina
10 May 2009 | Lake Park, Fl
06 May 2009 | Somewhere in the tropics
01 May 2009 | Green Turtle Cay
30 April 2009 | Green Turtle Cay
27 April 2009 | Abacos
24 April 2009 | MOW
21 April 2009 | Abaco, Bahamas
19 April 2009 | Mangoes
18 April 2009 | Abacos
16 April 2009 | Marsh Harbor
12 April 2009 | Hope Town
09 April 2009 | Hope Town
05 April 2009 | same
28 March 2009 | Elbow Cay
24 March 2009 | Abaco

Wind, wind, ease a little

27 April 2009 | Abacos
J&J

We're just sitting here in the Bahamas waiting for the winds to calm down again. They have been blowing over 20 knots for almost a week without a break. And the cuts in and out of the ocean are very choppy with breaking waves and rollers. There was a fishing tournament going on here this weekend but I don't think the fishing was very good and several boats didn't even compete in the last day because of the waves in the ocean - Just too much rocking and rolling to be comfortable. We have been doing our share of it on our mooring.
We have gotten a couple of chores done on the boat while waiting out the weather. Actually the weather is beautiful. It has been warm with low humidity and lots of sunshine, but too windy to travel. The nights have been nice and cool with blankets required. We've walked the beaches almost every day but have found no sea junk, (sea glass, shells, etc). The water is comfortable once you get past the initial short shock.
We met some really neat people from Oregon, Jody and Dan. They have a 31ft Mariner (Good Tern) that is older than our boat and they are doing a lot of repairs on it. It stays here in the Bahamas year round and they fly over in the spring of each year and spend a couple of months. We bought their old outboard 2- stroke Yamaha engine. It needs a bit of work but since you can't buy 2-strokes in the States anymore we thought it was a good buy. It also has more Horsepower than the one we have now. Once we get back home we will have it checked out.
Jody and Dan are both massage therapists in Oregon and are pretty interesting people. They live in a tent on 42 acres of land along a river. They row across the river every day to go to and from work. They showed us pictures of their home and the surrounding land and river. It is really beautiful.
Last night we were able to see Mercury in the Western sky just after sunset. There were lots of clouds so we didn't think we were going to able see anything. But first we saw the crescent of the moon a short ways above the horizon and about a half an hour later as it got just a bit darker we were able to see Mercury. The moon was just a sliver but we could see the outline of the entire moon. Pretty neat.

John's part
We are at 26 35.7 N 77.0 W You could not ask for a more beautiful harbour & we have met lots of cool people since leaving Hope Town. Hopefully we will be heading out of here tomorrow since the wind is supposed to die down. We have been yawing back & forth for a week and everyone in the harbour is about ready to move along somewhere.
We are getting low on fresh water so plan to go to the dock before leaving to fill up with nice R.O. water & fuel. I've been looking over charts for 2-days as well as tides & hours of daylight. So we will update the blog whenever possible, but internet access will probably be limited after heading out of here. Normally there is a report for the passages through to the ocean, but no one has been moving for a week. The cruiser's net each morning at 0815 has been a great way to get news & reports for the passages. It was started about 20-years ago & comes on VHF 68 each morning. The weather report is always first as most people don't leave the harbour until the report is heard.

Picture is the William H. Albury schooner with a group of boy scouts
Comments
Vessel Name: TRINITY
Vessel Make/Model: Allied Princess Ketch
Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Crew: John & Jerrie Doyle
About: We've been ocean sailing since the mid seventies and delivered boats up & down the east coast, the Caribbean & to the Med.

Who: John & Jerrie Doyle
Port: Charleston, SC