s/v Proximity

The Voyages and Adventures of "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts".

31 December 2019 | Emeryville Roadtrip
16 July 2017 | Wrangell Harbor
15 July 2017 | Petersburg, Alaska
12 July 2017 | Baronof Warmm Springs
10 July 2017 | Tenakee Inlet
08 July 2017 | Hoohah
07 July 2017 | Elfin Cove Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
26 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska, East of Kayak Island, West of Icy Bay
25 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska
24 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
21 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
20 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Passage to Kodiak
22 April 2017 | Chignik,, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Sand Point, Alaska

Rough, Rough, Rough!

04 May 2012 | On Passage - New Zealand to Fiji
Rod
This has been a seriously rough day. The wind has been moderately high, but reefing the sails takes care of that. What we are having to deal with are the waves. If you click on the little map to the right of your page, you will see our track. We are heading north but also trying to get ourselves east. This need to get east is due to strong easterly winds forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday. If we can position ourselves far enough east, we can ride these winds north and west to our destination Fiji. (They will help push us along rather than have to fight our way upstream. So then (are you still with me? Good!) the wind is now easterly, but not as strong as what's coming. We are shaping a northeasterly course that results in the seas being on our beam. It's these waves that are a menace. They have been bigger than forecast, and are knocking the boat on her ear. Seas on the beam can be dangerous if they are big enough. Again, the need to get east before they really pick up. We made about 148 miles today.

Our day has been reduced to hiding down below getting rest, etc. We spoke to s/v Jenny on the radio. They are doing the same thing. Just hanging on. For example. My navigation desk is equipped with a safety belt. I am being held with this wonderful belt as I type. We are managing to eat hot food, although when it is this rough, it more resembles camping food. Just add hot water, stir, and voila! You now have Thai red curry. Easy peasy. Oh, and then we sit on the galley floor to eat. It is the most stable part of the boat right now! A nice little picnic!

Ok then, this is "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts" sending tidings and why not, wishes for world peace! Oh, and the name Rock and Roll Argonauts? It is precisely these conditions that inspired the title. Ha! And you thought it was about music! Love to you all!
Comments
Vessel Name: Proximity
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Rod Lambert, Elisabeth Lehmberg
About:
Who Are Rod and Elisabeth? We are Rod Lambert and Elisabeth Lehmberg. Elisabeth is from Bremerhaven, Germany, and Rod is from Monterey, California. In our youth we each had dreams of living on the water and sailing long distance. [...]
Extra: 2017 Update. From 2009 to Summer 2016, we sailed the South Pacific Ocean, visiting many many wonderful places and meeting incredible all along the way. Finally, it was time to do something a little different, so we headed North. North to Alaska. The dream continues. Welcome!
Social:
Proximity's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.