s/v Proximity

The Voyages and Adventures of "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts".

31 December 2019 | Emeryville Roadtrip
16 July 2017 | Wrangell Harbor
15 July 2017 | Petersburg, Alaska
12 July 2017 | Baronof Warmm Springs
10 July 2017 | Tenakee Inlet
08 July 2017 | Hoohah
07 July 2017 | Elfin Cove Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
26 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska, East of Kayak Island, West of Icy Bay
25 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska
24 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
21 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
20 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Passage to Kodiak
22 April 2017 | Chignik,, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Sand Point, Alaska

Day 3

12 September 2015 | 20 miles South of Mili Atoll Marshall Islands
Rod
Saturday, September 12

Today was our "Operation Diagonal Across Under Mili" day. If you look at the position map, you will know what I mean. The wind has been on our nose, so this has been an upwind slog. And there has been plenty of wind, sometimes a little too much in the squalls when we have to jump up and reef the sails. The seas are not huge , but they are very lumpy and bumpy, and are making things go flying. For example, we have a spice rack that holds in the little spice bottles very nicely and securely in most conditions. Well, today, they are on the uphill side of the boat, and when the boat took a nice jump, the mustard seed bottle went flying, landing on the floor breaking the cap and emptying the contents all over creation. We have a wonder weapon for these things. A very small and handy Shop-Vac vacuum cleaner. Problem solved in very short order. Bur wait! There's more! The boat is equipped with kitchen drawers that lock into place when fully closed. It is a gravity/keyway sort of design, and they work very well. But sometimes during dinner cooking, they might not be fully latched. This was brought to our attention when the silverware drawer went flying during a boat jump. Of course, the entire contents scattered all over. The good part is that the drawer is not broken, the floor is not visibly pock marked, and that our cook (no, I will not tell you who was the cook tonight) learned a lesson that, to be truthful, was taught long ago.

So, then a little visiting outside during the quiet times of the day (so we don't get splashed), and the day has been good. We expect to arrive Majuro on Monday morning. That's about it for today. Happy Landings!

PS, On watch last night, I listened to a song about Amelia Earhart by Joni Mitchell. Mili is one of the places that certain investigators believe she landed her plane and was taken captive by the Japanese. Lots of eye witness, but no hard material evidence. Sleep well Amelia.

Rod and Elisabeth, "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts" "Les Pirates d'Honneur"
Comments
Vessel Name: Proximity
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Rod Lambert, Elisabeth Lehmberg
About:
Who Are Rod and Elisabeth? We are Rod Lambert and Elisabeth Lehmberg. Elisabeth is from Bremerhaven, Germany, and Rod is from Monterey, California. In our youth we each had dreams of living on the water and sailing long distance. [...]
Extra: 2017 Update. From 2009 to Summer 2016, we sailed the South Pacific Ocean, visiting many many wonderful places and meeting incredible all along the way. Finally, it was time to do something a little different, so we headed North. North to Alaska. The dream continues. Welcome!
Social:
Proximity's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.