s/v Proximity

The Voyages and Adventures of "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts".

31 December 2019 | Emeryville Roadtrip
16 July 2017 | Wrangell Harbor
15 July 2017 | Petersburg, Alaska
12 July 2017 | Baronof Warmm Springs
10 July 2017 | Tenakee Inlet
08 July 2017 | Hoohah
07 July 2017 | Elfin Cove Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
26 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska, East of Kayak Island, West of Icy Bay
25 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska
24 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
21 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
20 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Passage to Kodiak
22 April 2017 | Chignik,, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Sand Point, Alaska

Day 22

07 June 2016 | 20 Miles North and 2690 Miles west of Point Conception, Calif.
Rod
Monday, June 6

It worked. The front passed through, and I suppose it still is, but early this morning, we had winds in the high 20s for about three or four hours. We were going like a rocket. 7.5 knots, and really couldn't slow Proximity down. We had a double reefed main, and just a scrap of a headsail. The only way to go any slower would have been to drop the main, but why? She was built for this kind of sailing, and it was great. We don't usually see these kind of speeds though, because we prefer to run her easy. It's easier on the equipment. So, we had a high speed treat today! After a while, the wind eased up to the low 20s and has been there all day. We put in 129 miles yesterday. It feels good. We are now at the point where we can start bending our course for Dutch Harbor, but it too, has it's challenge. The wind is at our back on the starboard side. We are running as "deep" as we can. So, we cannot turn any further north, as it could gybe the mainsail, and that would be less than desired. For now, we sail as deep as we can making a course of about 035. The course we want is further north at 017, so we need the wind to change directions. It will, all in due time. If not, we can shift over to port tack, and go from there.

The seas are not so big, but they hit us such that we roll and bounce a lot. It is a rough ride today. It is sailing on a lively day! Umm.... let's see any cans today? Yes! There were chili beans at lunch. But at dinner there was a stir fry of fresh carrots and tofu. See? Even when it is rough, there can be civilized life. Of course, I have Elisabeth to thank for this civilization, and I can't say thank you enough for her in my life. I get a new crush on her every day. And I shaved! See? Told you!

We spent most of the day getting used to living on a bouncing carnival ride again, and solving a few navigation strategies. Chaika is still with us. We are on the move!

Be excellent to each other!

Rod and Elisabeth, "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts" "Les Pirates d'Honneur"
Comments
Vessel Name: Proximity
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Rod Lambert, Elisabeth Lehmberg
About:
Who Are Rod and Elisabeth? We are Rod Lambert and Elisabeth Lehmberg. Elisabeth is from Bremerhaven, Germany, and Rod is from Monterey, California. In our youth we each had dreams of living on the water and sailing long distance. [...]
Extra: 2017 Update. From 2009 to Summer 2016, we sailed the South Pacific Ocean, visiting many many wonderful places and meeting incredible all along the way. Finally, it was time to do something a little different, so we headed North. North to Alaska. The dream continues. Welcome!
Social:
Proximity's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.