PRRRFECTION - a sailing circumnavigation.

living the perfect life ...

07 January 2013 | Vuda Marina
05 September 2011 | Galapagos
03 March 2011
09 September 2010 | Fiji Islands
21 July 2010 | South Africa
14 July 2010 | South Pacific
05 May 2010 | fiji islands
21 April 2010
16 April 2010 | Fiji Islands
29 March 2010 | south pacific
18 March 2010 | New Zealand
02 October 2009 | Fiji
01 September 2008 | Fiji
17 July 2008 | Fiji
02 June 2008 | Fiji
08 December 2007 | Fiji
05 November 2007 | Samoa
05 October 2007 | 13deg 28W, 173deg 28S

Brave Fijian saves sailor

14 July 2010 | South Pacific

Exceptional Bravery Award to Fijian for rescuing leisure sailors


'James Fanifau - IMO's Award for Exceptional Bravery at Sea for 2010' .

A seaman from Fiji has been awarded the International Maritime Organisation's (IMO) 2010 award for Exceptional Bravery at Sea. The award goes to 30-year-old Fourth Engineer James Fanifau for his heroism in the rescue of two sailors in the Pacific Ocean last year.

This after the Council of the IMO endorsed the decision of a panel of Judges, who said that the seaman, who hails from from the Fijian island of Rotuma, displayed extraordinary bravery and humanitarian concern and had gone far beyond the call of duty.

Exhibiting little regard for his own personal safety, Mr Fanifau went over the side of his container ship, into very rough seas, to pull the two exhausted sailors from the water and carry them to safety during a rescue operation.

Mr Fanifau, currently a crew and an electrician by trade on board the merchant vessel MV Danny Rose run and operated by Neptune Shipping, was nominated by Australia for his part in the dramatic rescue of two survivors from the sunken yacht Sumatra II in May 2009.

The rescue occurred amid severe weather conditions in the Tasman Sea when Mr Fanifau was sailing on the MV Scarlet Lucy.

On May 22 last year, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority's Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC) was contacted by the United States Coast Guard and informed that a 16-metre yacht, Sumatra II, a 52ft Trintella, with two people on board, skipper and owner Dr. Jerry Morgan from Santa Rosa, California, and New Zealander Stewart McCreadie, had activated their US registered 406 MHz distress beacon.

The yacht was approximately 350 nautical miles east of Brisbane, was taking on water and sinking, owing to keel damage which had previously been assessed as only superficial. RCC Australia made contact via an onboard satellite phone and established contact with the two men. They were advised to remain with the yacht as long as possible and be prepared to evacuate the yacht when required.


Sumatra II Dr Jerry Morgan and the rest of the crew who saved him - .. .
RCC Australia co-ordinated five fixed wing aircraft to assist in locating the yacht's position, and a broadcast to shipping was issued with the merchant vessel Scarlett Lucy responding and diverting to the distress position.

The weather conditions in the area were very poor with rough seas, up to eight metres and low visibility. The distance offshore meant that a rescue helicopter could not be utilised.

When Fanifau's ship, the MV Scarlett Lucy, arrived on the scene, they faced an enormous task of rescuing the two men.

While other crew members felt reluctant in their attempt to rescue the survivors, brave Mr Fanifau placed himself in great danger by going over the side into very rough seas to help the two exhausted elderly survivors of the Sumatra II.

Skipper Jerry Morgan had drifted in the water for some 45 minutes when Mr Fanifau utilised the life rings to attempt to bring him on board.

It took persistence and tremendous bravery for him to eventually rescue the man from the water.

The IMO Award for Exceptional Bravery at Sea was expected to be presented by the Secretary-General at IMO Headquarters on the occasion of World Maritime Day or another major IMO occasion, as appropriate, taking into account the availability of the recipient Mr Fanifau.

A total of 31 nominations from 16 IMO member states were received and considered by an assessment panel consisting of experts nominated by various international non-governmental organisations.

The Council of the International Maritime Organisation decided on the award going to Mr Fanifau, and of the other nominees, that four would receive Certificates of Commendation and five would get Letters of Commendation.

Mr Fanifau has been sailing since 2005 on various trade and merchant ships such as Captain Cook, Captain Wallis, Scarlett Lucy and is now on board Danny Rose, a ship that brings wheat to Fiji.

.......................

Here is the story of the rescue, as related by retired urologist Dr Jerry Morgan, as the crew of the violently rolling freighter tried again and again in darkness to pluck him from the Tasman Sea.

Sumatra II - the boat he lost after 10 years cruising - .. . Click Here to view large photo

'I was so exhausted. I couldn't swim at all,' Morgan, 71, said after his ordeal in cyclone-like conditions about 350 miles east of Brisbane, Australia . He thought about his two sons and his grandchildren as he considered removing his flotation vest and letting go.

Three days earlier, on May 18, Morgan and a crewman from New Zealand , Stewart McCreadie, 38, had set sail from New Caledonia . They were bound for Brisbane , 780 nautical miles to the southwest, when a storm of near-hurricane force howled to life.

The seas rose to 25, 30 feet. 'These are mountains,' Morgan said. One huge waved pounded down directly on his 53-foot, Dutch-made Trintella sailing yacht and it began to take on water.
Morgan, who practiced medicine in Santa Rosa for 35 years and retired in 2005 to sail the world, knew at once what had gone wrong with the $500,000 boat he'd owned for a decade and had sailed more than 30,000 miles.

Just before he and McCreadie left from Ile de Pins, the southernmost island of New Caledonia , his 30-ton Fiberglas boat had dragged its anchor and grounded on a reef. He'd inspected it and saw that the keel had sustained some damage, but he thought it was not so serious that he couldn't wait until arriving in Brisbane to have the boat pulled out and repaired.

That decision forever will be what Morgan refers to as The Mistake. When his boat, Sumatra II, began taking on water he realized it had been weakened by the grounding days earlier and was fractured by the blow from the giant wave.

The winds were howling at about 50 mph and the hammered sailboat was swamping when, at about 9:30 a.m. May 21, Morgan put out a distress signal through his EPIRB, Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon. He also used his satellite phone to call the Coast Guard in San Francisco.

The Coast Guard alerted Australia 's Rescue Coordination Centre, which scrambled several Australian Coast Guard planes. The Sumatra II had been taking on water for about two hours when the crew of a twin-engine plane dropped a gasoline-powered pump into the ocean.

But Morgan and McCreadie were helpless to move the crippled boat to the pump.
'The engine was out. The sails were completely ripped apart. It was trashed,' Morgan said.

The Australian Coast Guard plane dropped a second pump and the sailors were able to grab the tether line, but when they reeled it in the pump had fallen away.

The crews of several other planes, including a big C-130 transport, spoke with Morgan and told him it was not possible to dispatch a rescue helicopter because the sailboat was too far from shore.

The Australian authorities put out a call for ships in the area and the Fijian captain of the Singapore-flagged cargo ship Scarlett Lucy, bound for Sydney , promptly offered to make a rescue run.

But the 4,000-ton, 320-foot ship was 70 miles away and darkness fell before it reached the almost fully swamped Sumatra II. The seas and the wind still raged, so the ship kept a distance of about a quarter mile rather than risk crushing the sailboat.

As the crew of Scarlett Lucy shone a searchlight on them, Morgan and McCreadie boarded the Sumatra 's dinghy and motored through 30-foot seas to the heaving freighter. When the pair was alongside, the Scarlett Lucy crew draped a rope net over the side of the ship.
Morgan said McCreadie was able to grab and hold it as the lurching freighter yanked him out of the dinghy and he clambered up to safety. Morgan wasn't as lucky when he took hold of the net.

'I grabbed it and it ripped out of my hands, so I fell back in the dinghy.'
Then his little boat began to drift back toward the big ship's propeller. He jumped into the sea.

About 45 minutes later, he was exhausted and hopeless from having been tossed about, now near the ship, now some distance away.

'At one point I just thought I would drown.' He meant, intentionally drown. He thought to unfasten his personal flotation device and just sink.

As he despaired in the darkness and the roiling water, he thought of his two sons and two grandchildren in San Rafael and Park City , Utah.
'The love of your family and your need to be there as a father and as a grandfather, that was pretty strong and foremost in my mind,' he said. And he noticed that the Scarlett Lucy was inching closer to him.

Suddenly there was a life ring in the water beside him. 'Clip on! Clip on!' he heard someone scream.
Morgan found the metal clip on his life vest and fastened it to the ring. His saviors on the freighter's deck hauled up.

Mildly hypothermic but uninjured, he was helped into a warm shower, fed and clothed by the crew �" the 17 'most beautiful, wonderful people I ever met in my life.'

Two days later, he and McCreadie were in Sydney .

Back home after the incident, Morgan said he expected the loss of the uninsured sailboat and much of his other worldly possessions meant he would have to return to work part time. He also said he would never go to sea again.

'After this, it kind of ruins it,' he said.

But the announcement of the award brings a small patch of sunshine into the tragic end to his cruising days.


(As reported by Sail World)



Comments
Vessel Name: Prrrfection
Vessel Make/Model: Wildcat 35
Hailing Port: DURBAN, South Africa
Crew: Ronelle, Claude, Mariska & Rochelle
About: Mom Ronelle, Partner Claude and teenagers- Mariska and Rochelle started circumnavigating 2001
Extra:
After the untimely death of father Deon van Rooyen in 2001, mom Ronelle continued to circumnavigate with her children - Riaan, Mariska and Rochelle. Claude has been her partner for many years, sharing her love of the sea, adventure, new places... The voyage is a sloooowwww one.....each [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/prrrfection/?xjMsgID=3715
Prrrfection's Photos - PRRRFECTION - a sailing circumnavigation. (Main)
Photos 1 to 91 of 91
1
grilling fish on the coals
look at our cute dinghy in the background
crystal clear fiji waters...
our panasonic lumix camera with underwater housing
 such a nice picture moment... i could not resist it
rochelle getting it up at Natadola beach
my angels in an  underwater paradise
a germinating coconut
this is Fiji
having communal dinners on the lawns at Vuda
this was just after our Tsunami scare
my family - 2010
waiting at nadi airport for riaan
dearest Riaan during his visit
one of the advantages to living half ashore - is growing flowers and veggies again
the bay is as nice as the beach
we are Not in a swimming pool!
the surfing dudes! (the ho-dads)hahahahah
peace
picnic on the beach
rivers to explore
this sandy spit is exposed at low tide
the girls in their school uniforms..
beaches for picnics...
beautiful  under water scenes
this is fiji
mariska and rochelle painting the mural at the marina
beautiful above the water
beautiful under the water
stripes logos graphics on a boat - that is our job
mariska enjoying the water
underwater fiji
we could not stop taking photos
fish and the mermaid...
a  favourite secluded spot
the other mermaid..
rochelle in her own world
claude getting all arty again
swimming amongst the fish
this is in the sea - it is not in an aquarium - i promise!
musket cove - a view from the top
my job - logos and names and designs....
the entrance to Vuda Marina...and Amigo in the foreground
beaches...palm trees....
making signs...
reflection on prrrfection...
at anchor ...with one of the many spectacular sunsets....
my favourite colours are here as well
the marina
claude with the horses on the beach
horse riding on the beach
Jope and Nunya
Jope and best man - look at the beautiful Masa cloth
Claude taking Amigo for a paddle
having a horse also makes living in Fiji a brighter place...
home at night
friends and fun and laughter
having kava
hindu wedding
friends = fun!!
underground oven - lovo
fishing
food from heaven - palm heart - grilled fish...(not the coke)
frangipani fragrance
Vuda
lovo feast
El Piso - the boat that we use to map/chart anchorages whilst writing the new Fiji cruising guide
Friends, Fun , Food, Fiji.....
dressing up a-la-indian-style
claude at work
cycling
claude and the girls - and it is NOT a swimming pool!
Claude and i at a resort
a sure way not to get lost in the dark....
amigo passed out....
Claude grilling freshly caught fish on the beach
beautiful waters
the cousins having fun during cyclone Mick
a traditional Fijian house - Bure
ronel on bow
rochelle weaving palm leaves
rochelle
rochelle catching ature
rochelle fishing
mariska and rochelle
house boat 2
claude dinghy
claude ronel waterfall
claude animals kayak
backstep splashing
claudes big 51
 
1
Prrr was the first catamaran to be hauled out at Vuda Point Marina's new catamaran ramp.
No Photos
Created 25 May 2017
favourite photos that i brought back due to demand!! thanx
38 Photos
Created 20 April 2010

The Cruising Yacht SiteRing

Previous | List | Random | Join | Next

SiteRing by Bravenet.com