Puanani Voyage 2016

02 December 2017 | Kailua Kona, Hawaii
30 November 2017 | Enroute to Big Island
29 November 2017 | Enroute to Big Island
27 November 2017 | Enroute to Big Island
25 November 2017 | Enroute to Big Island
24 November 2017 | Entering the ITCZ
21 November 2017 | Latitude O Degrees by 15O Degrees West
20 November 2017
19 November 2017 | >Degrees North of Where We Started
17 November 2017 | 150 Nauticle Miles South East of Caroline Island
15 November 2017 | 11 Nm West of Mataiva
13 November 2017 | Marina de Papeete
10 November 2017 | Marina de Papeete
07 November 2017 | Marina de Papeete
05 November 2017 | Opunohu Bay, Moorea
01 November 2017 | Marina de Papeete
30 October 2017 | Marina de Papeete
24 October 2017 | Marina de Papeete
23 October 2017 | Marina de Papeete
22 October 2017 | Matavai Bay, Tahiti

Feel Like Letting My Freak Flag Fly

08 June 2017 | Enroute: New Zealand (NZ) to French Polynesia (FP)
Clay Hutchinson
Puanani is now resting comfortably at anchor in beautiful Rairua Bay, Raivavae. Got in just before the East wind got serious. History will not rate this voyage as a pleasure cruise. It will listed under the "Adventure" column. Constantly changing weather conditions, big wind, no wind, confused seas, great companionship, excellent conversations, Mark's sound and confident leadership, and just a damn good time. We went ashore and walked to the Gendarmarie to clear Customs. Agents Teamo and Joseph could not have been friendlier or more helpful. French Polynesia cannot be beat for hospitality.

Among the most gratifying words a captain can hear at the end of a voyage is "Captain, you may strike the Quarantine Flag", meaning the vessel is cleared and you may enjoy your time in this beautiful place and you can lower the yellow flag. Actually, I have never heard those exact words, but the intent is there. Today the expression was "Iaorana Capitaine, would you like some fresh Taro"? In New Zealand it was "She'll be right Mate, enjoy your time in New Zealand". In Fiji it was "Bula Captain, we appreciate the effort you have made to visit our country. Enjoy your time here". In Tonga it was "Welcome to Tonga Captain, how about another cup of that excellent Starbucks coffee". I have found that every Customs Agent, Immigration Agent, and Bio-Security Agent has been professional, friendly, proud of his or her country, and genuinely interested in making our stay meaningful and pleasant. Flag protocol is important. Today we flew the French Polynesia courtesy flag on the starboard spreader halyard. Just below the courtesy flag was the yellow Quarantine Flag. The courtesy flag flies for the duration of the ships visit in that country. Mark often flies the Hawaiian State flag from the stern. That creates a lot of conversation and VHF chatter, given there are numerous flags that include the Union Jack but the Hawaiian flag is not one that is recognized. Puanani is very becoming in her Hawaiian flag livery. I like that and also appreciate seeing a very large American flag flying. The bigger the better.

There are two other boats here. Hans Peter, a Swiss fellow living in Australia and 3/4 of the way through a single handed circumnavigation on a 38 foot cat , "Mi Corazon", came aboard Puanani for dinner and cold beer. Great conversation. That is the best thing about voyaging. We meet some very different people. The other boat arrived late but we think they came from New Zealand. The customs agent told us that about 20 vessels visit Raivavae each year on average. This is the busy month.

I just finished the BEST BEER I HAVE EVER TASTED. It was a Hinano. No, wait. Mark just handed me another Hinano. I stand corrected---------this beer is the BEST BEER I HAVE EVER TASTED. Standby for updates.
Comments
Vessel Name: Puanani
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 393
Hailing Port: Kaneohe, Hawaii
Puanani's Photos - Main
Selected photos and videos from our voyage to and through the South Pacific commencing 2016 04 30 to 2017 mm dd (TBD).
1 Photo | 5 Sub-Albums
Created 5 June 2016