09 August 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
30 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA - still
24 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
22 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
17 July 2010 | Port angeles, WA
16 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
13 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
11 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
08 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa (duh)
07 July 2010 | Victoria Harbor
05 July 2010 | Victoria B.C.
03 July 2010 | Roche Harbor San Juan Islands
30 June 2010 | Bedwell Harbor Poet's Cove Resort
28 June 2010 | MBVIBC
27 June 2010 | Maple Bay (still) but headed up to Chemanis
25 June 2010 | Maple Bay

Fairhaven - Days 9-10 Fri-Sat

22 May 2010
Wow! Still here! I think our sail must have got lost in the mail.

So, we're back out on the hook...Internet returnth (we have intermittent Internet).

We left dock about 12:30 yesterday afternoon (Friday) and sauntered with the boat ,out in front of the coffee shop...with the trains, the park, and the boardwalk. We circled around for a bit before dropping the hook, intending to anchor some distance from the cornball guy (long story)who was still out here. As it turned out, it was a weird night. Problem here was, no internet...out of range for almost all my receptions. Anyway...the wind swung around from the SSW and piped up to about 15knts...then more southwesterly as the sun wind down, and the current changed. What this meant for us is that we have the boat facing away from the wind and wave sets...causing us to teeter-totter bacl-asswards...(or hobbie horse as the phrase may be). Not little teeters either...fan tale way up in the air, then like an amusement park ride, it comes dropping down into the back of the swell then rounding back up to do it all over again. It took me about 10 minutes to get tired of the ride...I wanted of! This particular motion, coupled with some sideways motion from passing boats, and distance log moving tugs, set up a terrible sloshy condition that had me reaching for some sea-sick stuff. Sandy was out, (incendentially, Sandy was the last of us to get sea sick...only one time...a couple of years ago...so she just slept right through this night). Not me. Not this time...I suspect it was cornball guy who set this up...but that's another story...anyway...I was up and down literally...for another hour before I decided to head to the center of the boat where it was surprisingly very calm. I was almost asleep when the 5:15 train came a-honking and a-rumbling through...Oh...and the tide and wind changed. Just when I was about ready shoot the ocean for being so unwieldly...I looked up and saw that cornball guy was gone!!!...leaving a huge vacancy sign and space where he was. I almost couldn't contain myself with happiness! Both the fact that he was gone, which meant that we could move down and get Internet...and just the fact that he was gone put me into thrillville. (I didn't mention that a couple of hundred feet either way can make all the Internet difference in the world for our internet receiver.... Anyway, I supportively helped Sandy into into a conscience wakeful state...softly whispering something like...""Sandy you might want to get up as I think there's a space opening up next to us!" or most like likely it was something along those lines of "SANDY GET UP!"THE CORNBALL GUY IS GONE!!!).Sometimes I think I could back to tack or cooth school but effectiveness seems to vanish with civility at time during trying times.

Okay, so we're out here...again...still waiting for our sail...again...storms have come and gone...we've seen parking lot at the grocery, had an ice cream and put on way too many dink miles across the pond...time to go to the next place has long since passed...now just doing the mundane trying to be civil to each other, now trapped in Bellingham Hell (writer takes total responsibility for this opinion).

Ray out for now.
Comments
Vessel Name: Pure Joy
Vessel Make/Model: Islander Freeport 41
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington USA
Crew: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
About:
Retired July '09. This is our second sailboat together. Before, Sandy had a Morgan '38 which she sailed from Port Angeles around Puget Sound. Sandy has motored to Mexico in the 70's...and lived and worked on her own boat for 3 years in Alaska. [...]
Extra: We are happy to report we are actually doing exactly what we really really really really really want to do...(short of winning the lottery of couse :)...in any case...it's PURE JOY! HF Contact: KF7IDH

Sailing the Dream

Who: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
Port: Seattle, Washington USA