09 August 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
30 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA - still
24 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
22 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
17 July 2010 | Port angeles, WA
16 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
13 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
11 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
08 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa (duh)
07 July 2010 | Victoria Harbor
05 July 2010 | Victoria B.C.
03 July 2010 | Roche Harbor San Juan Islands
30 June 2010 | Bedwell Harbor Poet's Cove Resort
28 June 2010 | MBVIBC
27 June 2010 | Maple Bay (still) but headed up to Chemanis
25 June 2010 | Maple Bay

Arrived Port Angeles!

08 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa (duh)
Ray here - hot and perspiry
Picture: Our neighbors in the adjoining slips....five Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection superboats! No kidding, these boats each have 4 - 300 HP 6 cyl turbo-charged Mercs!

Well, we arrived in Port Angeles...it felt like old home week for us as we lived here for so long. In fact, we lived here, got married here...lived on different boats together, and the same boat apart (figure that one out). Anyway...the trip was both good and bad. Bad because we it took us 4 hours to cross the Strait (which we've done many-many times)...but this time was like no other...8-9 foot swells on the beam (not kidding)...all the way...which is no big deal out in the real ocean...but here, because we are in the Strait...they were about 2-4 seconds apart ( timed'em between barfs)......which means they were steep and fast! We ended up steering north for an extra hour or so just to manage the slap...anyway...It was so bad (how bad was it Ray?)... the ferry boats had to zig-zag across because they don't tie their cars down....and I suspect the passengers were probably less-than-comfortable too...sitting in their cars on the walls...barfing into the ashtrays.

The good part of the ordeal was the ordeal...at least that's what Sandy tells me...somehow I we're supposed to benefit from this....my brain locks up with this logic. Let's see...good training = good experience for when we get out in the real ocean...Hmmmm...I think of it as the same as trying to learn to increase my reflexes by putting my hand in the blender. Okay, so we had the experience and I lived through it...what I learned is...I still don't like sailing....or in this case... going an "E" ticket ride on the barf-o-rama!

The good news is, the boat handled wonderfully!...well, as wonderfully as it can while it goes where it wants and you just kind of hang on for the ride...anyway... This boat is awesome! (I say that about any boat I survived any trip on)...so it was like it was made to be in the water or something. The very good news is ...nothing lasts forever and the waves couldn't reach me in the snack bar!...but honestly, we were fighting it out with the ferry boats over who was going to get into the inner harbor first...they won..they're bigger and they threatened to start throwing cars at us.

We're here...and if anyone knows Port Angeles...there's nothing here...well...not like Victoria...this is more like.... the behind-the-scenes of Victoria. No grocery store within miles (remember last time this happened we didn't eat for like...six days). It's a good place to work on your boat though (if you don't starve to death) before you go offshore...that part is great....nothing else but we love it...sick I know. They do have a haul out...and some parts, and lots of people with advice on how to fix anything or otherwise live your life better. ...otherwise...not too much to do unless you're into leaving.

We're here for a week...found some Internet...so I'll try to figure out how to add more pictures in the gallery...in sequence this time (yeah sure Ray...we've heard all this before).
Out for now
Comments
Vessel Name: Pure Joy
Vessel Make/Model: Islander Freeport 41
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington USA
Crew: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
About:
Retired July '09. This is our second sailboat together. Before, Sandy had a Morgan '38 which she sailed from Port Angeles around Puget Sound. Sandy has motored to Mexico in the 70's...and lived and worked on her own boat for 3 years in Alaska. [...]
Extra: We are happy to report we are actually doing exactly what we really really really really really want to do...(short of winning the lottery of couse :)...in any case...it's PURE JOY! HF Contact: KF7IDH

Sailing the Dream

Who: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
Port: Seattle, Washington USA