s/v Purrrfection: The End of our Family Cruising Days

After 7 years, Purrrfection has been sold and our cruising days aboard our beloved Purrrfection are now over.

19 March 2011 | Bundaberg, Augstralia
05 January 2010
01 January 2008 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
18 September 2007 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
01 August 2007 | En route to Tahiti
31 July 2007 | Toau, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
27 July 2007 | Anse Amyot, Toau, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
27 July 2007 | Anse Amyot, Toau, Tuamotus, FP
26 July 2007 | Rotovoa, Fakarava, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
26 July 2007 | Fakarava, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
24 July 2007 | Fakarava, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
22 July 2007 | Fakarava, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
22 July 2007 | Makemo, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
15 July 2007 | Makemo, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
14 July 2007 | Raroria, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
06 July 2007 | Taiohae Baie, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas, French Polynesia
02 July 2007 | Daniel's Bay, Nuku Hiva
01 July 2007 | Daniel's Bay, Nuku Hiva

More Manta Photos

01 August 2007 | En route to Tahiti
Jennifer
As promised in yesterday's blog, here's an additional photo from our "Swim with the Mantas" session. This photo shows a manta doing a back flip as it circles a school of small fish. The "flaps" indicate the position of the mouth (a manta is a filter feeder) and the two whitish "lumps" on the right side of the manta in the photo are two remoras. Remoras have a suction cup on the top of their body and they suction themselves to other fish (and sometimes also try to suction themselves on to people who are in the water trying to clean the boat bottom --- just ask Sam about that one.) A couple of weeks ago we saw a large porpoise that had a Remora stuck over one of it eyes. The porpoise positioned itself right in front of our port bow and kept swimming and spinning in an apparent attempt to bump the Remora off its eye by hitting the bow with the remora. Regretfully, the porpoise was not able to dislodge the remora.

Hmmm. . . how about some more shark stories? After finishing snorkeling with the mantas, we were in the process of getting back onto Gaston's boat. When it was my turn, Gaston noted that he had drifted precariously close to some coral heads, so I had to swim away while he started the outboard up again and moved to a different location. So, there I am with one fin already off (as I had been preparing to climb in using the outboard transom as a step over the stern of the boat) and trying to awkwardly swim to the new boat position on the other side of some coral heads when a large white tip shark glides by about four feet from me. Thankfully, white tips are not usually aggressive (another "beagle" type shark --- see my earlier post), but I did take the time at that point to put my other fin back on so I could actually swim instead of flail around in water.

After we were back onto our boat, I then decided to go snorkeling a bit more, since I was already wet and geared up. Sam didn't feel like going and the girls were heading over to shore with two French boys from two other boats, so I swam over to check out the fish traps myself. All was going fine until I noticed a 6 foot gray shark. Some gray reef sharks are similar in temperament to black tip and white tip sharks. Some, however, are known to be aggressive. I find it pretty hard to distinguish between gray sharks in the water, so I decided to just mosey on back to the boat. After I described it to the local boys later that night, they said it was "just a baby" since it was "only 6 feet long" and that the gray sharks in their area are not aggressive. They also said that the gray sharks are "scared of Tahitian man" and that they dart away when they see them. (I think a bit of bravado was being put on display for my benefit at that point.) Nonetheless, I think that I will avoid the gray sharks whenever possible.
Comments
Vessel Name: Purrrfection
Vessel Make/Model: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia catamaran
Hailing Port: Boca Raton, Florida, USA
Crew: Sam, Jen, Victoria and Alison
About:
Sam, Jennifer, Victoria & Alison. A former "too busy" family who decided to sail away for a 2 year Caribbean cruise on their catamaran . . . and who then learned that 2 years was not nearly long enough, the world should be explored further, and are now circumnavigating. [...]

The former cruisers:

Who: Sam, Jen, Victoria and Alison
Port: Boca Raton, Florida, USA