A Different Kind of Sailing

05 April 2008 | Panama Canal
04 April 2008 | Acapulco
31 March 2008 | off the coast of Baja California
21 March 2008 | 21 March En Route to Hawaii
18 March 2008 | china
13 March 2008 | Singapore and Viet Nam
13 March 2008 | SOUTH PACIFIC
07 March 2008 | Australia
23 February 2008
16 February 2008
12 February 2008 | easter island
11 February 2008 | QE2
05 February 2008 | Punto Arenas
03 February 2008 | tip of the world
02 February 2008 | off falkland islands
25 January 2008
23 January 2008 | somewhere between Miami and Barbados BWI
08 January 2008
06 January 2008

almost around the horn

02 February 2008 | off falkland islands
Charlotte Tracy
Well we have had our first disappointment due to weather. This morning, Friday, we were up bright and early in anticipation of our tour to see the King Penguins. Just as we were leaving the cabin however it was announced that the stop had been canceled because of the anticipated force 5-7 winds and heavy seas as well as heavy rain. We were already scheduled to anchor about 2 miles off shore at Stanley, Falkland Islands and go ashore in tenders and apparently this is just not possible to do in the expected weather. No one has told us yet what this means in terms of our schedule but it appears that we are still headed toward Cape Horn. I was already a bit nervous about this rounding and now with the predicted weather I am really wondering what it will be like. Dad has 3 patches if gets too rough and hopefully that will allow us to watch the rounding and enjoy the experience. The next port is Punto Arenas and it is apparently possible that we will miss our second opportunity to see the penguins if the weather has not improved. I just hope that Easter Island is not compromised as that is one of the main reasons I was persuaded to do this trip.



We have blown through our 4 free hours of internet. I wish I new how. It has taken some time to download photos - So if you have a really good photo you want to share, please send it, otherwise wait until we get home.


I have just come back from watching a movie, Evening, sad but very good and it was filmed in Newport. When I left the dark theater I stopped to watch the ocean for awhile. It really is an amazing sight and I am glad that we are sailing into the wind. The seas are probably 8 feet plus and the captain announced at noon that the winds were force 8, 50 miles per hour. The wave coming off the ship has the same color of the Caribbean under the white froth and of course the tops of the waves are being blown off. The wake of the boat is that same turquoise blue with the darker blue of the ocean on either side. I am going to try to get a photo though it will be hard to keep the camera still enough to get one in focus. So far my stomach is behaving as it should and hopefully will continue to.
Comments
Vessel Name: Queen Elizabeth II
Hailing Port: Southampton
About: tbd