Queen’s Ransom circumnavigating Ireland and the Orkneys

Queen’s Ransom III is a Najad 520 from the UK

27 November 2023 | Chatham
26 November 2023 | Queenborough, Isle of Sheppey
25 November 2023 | Ramsgate
10 November 2023 | Weymouth
15 October 2023 | Dittisham, River Dart
14 October 2023 | River Yealm
22 September 2023 | Fowey
03 September 2023 | River Yealm
02 September 2023 | New Grimsby Sound
01 September 2023 | Tresco, Isles of Scilly
31 August 2023 | Celtic Sea
30 August 2023 | Great Saltee Island, County Wexford, Ireland
28 August 2023 | Castletown, Isle of Man
27 August 2023 | Bangor
26 August 2023 | Sound of Islay
25 August 2023 | Oban
24 August 2023 | Oban
23 August 2023 | Mallaig
22 August 2023 | Loch Duich
21 August 2023 | Stornoway

Enjoying the Ride and then Suddenly Whales Again!

04 August 2016 | 115 Nm North North West Cabo de Estaca de Bares; Spain's Northernmost Point
Ulric NW1
It is early Thursday morning and the drizzle persists. It is not much, just a Summer like calm drizzle. The wind suddenly started to blow from the North East. I switched off the engine and we were laying a course to the NNW on starboard tack. Unfortunately not straight towards Brest, but still 2-3 knots of VMG (velocity made good); our speed towards the destination.

I had downloaded new GRIB (weather files). It looks like one day of sailing today Thursday then the high pressure is moving in with very variable and light winds, so it is likely to be motoring Friday and Saturday. Hope we have enough fuel and that there will be at least small intervals of pressure to break it up with some sailing. On Sunday it starts to blow from the North as the centre of the high pressure moved in over Brittany.

My hope is that we will make land fall on the Isle de Sein on Saturday evening. This is the small island just outside Raz de Sein; a fishing village with a drying harbour and huge tides. You should be able to anchor to its North in calm conditions. We would then just have some hours to make the final push to Brest. However, the strong tidal streams will make the timing of those last hours critical.

Yesterday I wrote, another day other conditions. Today: Another day, two other types of conditions, would be more accurate. The sun came back in force and the wind piped up. Queenie sped along on a tight reach, nothing dramatic just very harmonious. It became a glorious Summer’s day on the Bay of Biscay. I was sitting reading in the cockpit or just sitting enjoying the ride.

At one of these moments, I spotted whales again. At least a couple, maybe more. This time they were swimming in the same directions as Queenie so we could stay with them for longer. This trip has been the best ever for spotting sea mammals. Hans had been told that the whales were easier to spot in the Eastern inner part of the Bay of Biscay. However, we also had the pleasure!

position:45 40.0'N:8 14.0'W
Comments
Vessel Name: Queen's Ransom III
Vessel Make/Model: Najad 520
Hailing Port: Medway, UK
About:
Extra:
Queen's Ransom III is a Najad 520 build no. 22 from 1996. She is equipped and maintained for world wide cruising. Read more about her Viking Voyage on this website "the Mission" under favourites Go to "the Boat" under favourites to read more about Queen's Ransom. Go to "the Voyage" under [...]
Home Page: http://www.queens-ransom.com