Queen’s Ransom circumnavigating Ireland and the Orkneys

Queen’s Ransom III is a Najad 520 from the UK

27 November 2023 | Chatham
26 November 2023 | Queenborough, Isle of Sheppey
25 November 2023 | Ramsgate
10 November 2023 | Weymouth
15 October 2023 | Dittisham, River Dart
14 October 2023 | River Yealm
22 September 2023 | Fowey
03 September 2023 | River Yealm
02 September 2023 | New Grimsby Sound
01 September 2023 | Tresco, Isles of Scilly
31 August 2023 | Celtic Sea
30 August 2023 | Great Saltee Island, County Wexford, Ireland
28 August 2023 | Castletown, Isle of Man
27 August 2023 | Bangor
26 August 2023 | Sound of Islay
25 August 2023 | Oban
24 August 2023 | Oban
23 August 2023 | Mallaig
22 August 2023 | Loch Duich
21 August 2023 | Stornoway

Surounded By Seals!

19 August 2013 | Gotska Sandon
Imelda WSW1
Monday 19 August 2013

Queens Ransom III is for anchor by Gotska Sandoen. Not five minutes after we had switched off the engine, we were surrounded by seals! They are curious animals and they make high pitched humming and moaning sounds, carried far on the evening breeze. What a welcome! And we are the only boat here, we have sailed into Paradise!



This morning we first needed to take care of a few matters at Faroesund on the Gotland. We filled up with diesel at the fuel berth. We also filled our water tanks to the very rim. We did another big food shop. We got rid of several days worth of garbage and Ulric walked to the nearest petrol station to fill two jerrycans with petrol for the dinghy engine.



Up to five minutes ago today's blog picture was going to be a jellyfish and the blog title was going to be MORNINGS BELONG TO US. But then those seals appeared on the scene to check out the new arrival.



The mornings ARE beautiful though: lighthouses in silent communication with the skies and one seagull was flying alongside out boat for quite some time. She must have been flying at a constant speed of 5 knots!



At Faroesund there was a large population of jellyfish in the tiny marina. I discovered the place where they drift in on a natural stream from the ferry terminal. The sun was out, the water was warm, the clouds were puffy like something out of a child's drawing. This small stream was swarming with jellyfish in all sizes. The most amazing thing was to see how they were enjoying themselves. I have never seen that before: hundreds of jellyfish sunbathing and visibly ENJOYING THEMSELVES (but I did not join them for a swim!)



While we were unpacking our shoppings, I looked out in the cockpit and saw Brendan tenderly feed Jagzy two seasickness pills. (I hope those are OK for pregnant women.)



I overheard Quinn say to Elliott: "Mr Bradshawn (maths teacher) says I should not talk loudly about things I know absolutely nothing about!"



As we approached this island and looked for the best anchoring spot, I saw a man on the beach, in the evening haze. He was holding up something large, as if asking for attention or showing it to us. The next moment there was no sign of him at all. Is there a lone camper on the beach or is this a ghost asking for something? I am not sure! I am happy to talk to him in either scenario.



Ulric is cooking dinner for the boys. Brendan is dancing the 'hokey-cokey" on the aft deck with Jagzy (who indeed showed no signs of sea sickness all afternoon!)



Now sausages and pizza are served. Ulric reminds the boys to savour every moment of 'the most amazing view in Sweden tonight'. Let's hope the boys keep out an eye for the seals. These will undoubtedly return the favour and keep an eye on our boys while we are here!



There will be a romantic dinner for the parents in the cockpit later tonight. On the menu is: first a glass of port wine, then 'kantareller' with ruccola (from the roadside or from the shop? Your guess!) and cherry tomatoes, followed by potato 'grataeng' with red onion and fried aubergine slices. Oh and tomato salad. The view will be: seals swimming and diving and humming all around us while Father Sun sets behind the island of Gotska Sandoen.



Who could ask for more?! Fancy joining us for dinner?!!



Imelda Almqvist
Comments
Vessel Name: Queen's Ransom III
Vessel Make/Model: Najad 520
Hailing Port: Medway, UK
About:
Extra:
Queen's Ransom III is a Najad 520 build no. 22 from 1996. She is equipped and maintained for world wide cruising. Read more about her Viking Voyage on this website "the Mission" under favourites Go to "the Boat" under favourites to read more about Queen's Ransom. Go to "the Voyage" under [...]
Home Page: http://www.queens-ransom.com